• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statutory rape?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

greenwoodR

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

I am 17 years old and have willingly been seeing a
22 year old. Due to how certain states have different laws i was wondering if this was legal. On another point could i move out at 17?

JETX

"I am 17 years old and have willingly been seeing a 22 year old. Due to how certain states have different laws i was wondering if this was legal."
*** If by 'seeing' you mean having consensual sexual contact, that would not be 'Criminal Sexual Conduct'. Here is the applicable state law:
"SECTION 16-3-655. Criminal sexual conduct with minors.

(1) A person is guilty of criminal sexual conduct in the first degree if the actor engages in sexual battery with the victim who is less than eleven years of age.

(2) A person is guilty of criminal sexual conduct in the second degree if the actor engages in sexual battery with a victim who is fourteen years of age or less but who is at least eleven years of age.

(3) A person is guilty of criminal sexual conduct in the second degree if the actor engages in sexual battery with a victim who is at least fourteen years of age but who is less than sixteen years of age and the actor is in a position of familial, custodial, or official authority to coerce the victim to submit or is older than the victim."
Source: http://www.lpitr.state.sc.us/code/t16c003.htm

"On another point could i move out at 17?"
*** Of course you could move out. Then, your parents could contact the police and they would haul you back home. SC law defines a 'child' as anyone under 18. As such, you are under their legal 'control', until then.
"SECTION 20-7-30. Definitions.
When used in this chapter and unless otherwise defined or the specific context indicates otherwise:
(1) "Child" means a person under the age of eighteen."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">