• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statutory rape????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

colfos

What is the name of your state? GA
A 19 yr old boy and my 16 yr old godchild are pregnant. He has taken her from her home and is claiming it is for protective custody(Her parents have never laid a hand on her). Is there a way to get her back home? This has just happened today, so we are lost as to what to do. Can we get him for statutory rape? Kidnapping? It's almost as if she's been brainwashed.

Happy Trails

colfos said:
A 19 yr old boy and my 16 yr old godchild are pregnant. He has taken her from her home and is claiming it is for protective custody(Her parents have never laid a hand on her). Is there a way to get her back home? This has just happened today, so we are lost as to what to do. Can we get him for statutory rape? Kidnapping? It's almost as if she's been brainwashed.
**How old was she when she got pregnant?

rmet4nzkx

The age of consent in GA is 16 so it is not statuory rape. Yes her parents can press charges such as contributing to the delinquency of a minor but with them being pregnant, him taking responsibility and saying her parents are abusive we don't know the whole story so it may just have to be played out in court.

For example if her parents were trying to get her to get an abortion, in that case they cannot force that, something like that could be considered abuse without laying a hand on her, or if they are forcing her to give her baby up, so it is not clear cut. If there is a lot of stress in the home, that could be abuse and increase the risk to the pregnancy, something to keep a young pregnant girl from. On the practical side, it is too late to prevent the pregnancy, or the relationship they are linked for another 18 years. At 16 they could get married with her parents permission

C

colfos

16 yrs old, she just announced it today. What can the parents legally do to get her home? They did talk about abortion, maybe that scared her. Of course, they only want what is best. But right now, we need to be sure she's taken care of. The 16 yr old had X rays done yesterday during her dentist appt. That's something else to be concerned about.

C

colfos

Also, it was pretty upsetting when the parents first heard of this. So I know it probably got heated...like any normal parent would react to this. A straight A student, cheerleader, etc now has her life's dreams changed. But, they have calmed down some and would be glad to talk to her. They've always had an open relationship. She was on Birth control

JETX

colfos said:
How old was she when she became pregnant and/or is there any evidence of his prior sexual contact before her 16th birthday??
Georgia Code:
"16-6-3.
(a) A person commits the offense of statutory rape when he or she engages in sexual intercourse with any person under the age of 16 years and not his or her spouse, provided that no conviction shall be had for this offense on the unsupported testimony of the victim.
(b) A person convicted of the offense of statutory rape shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than 20 years; provided, however, that if the person so convicted is 21 years of age or older, such person shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than ten nor more than 20 years; provided, further, that if the victim is 14 or 15 years of age and the person so convicted is no more than three years older than the victim, such person shall be guilty of a misdemeanor
."

As for the issue of his taking her away:
"16-5-40.
(a) A person commits the offense of kidnapping when he abducts or steals away any person without lawful authority or warrant and holds such person against his will. (b) A person convicted of the offense of kidnapping shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than ten nor more than 20 years, provided that a person convicted of the offense of kidnapping for ransom shall be punished by life imprisonment or by death and provided, further, that, if the person kidnapped shall have received bodily injury, the person convicted shall be punished by life imprisonment or by death. Any person convicted under this Code section shall, in addition, be subject to the sentencing and punishment provisions of Code Sections 17-10-6.1 and 17-10-7.
"
There is nothing in your post that would show it was being done against her will.

However, his conduct COULD be in violation of the following:
16-12-1.
(b) A person commits the offense of contributing to the delinquency, unruliness, or deprivation of a minor when such person:
<snip>
(2) Knowingly and willfully encourages, causes, abets, connives, or aids a minor in committing an act which would cause such minor to be found to be an unruly child as such is defined in Code Section 15-11-2, relating to juvenile proceedings;"

15-11-2.
As used in this chapter, the term:
(2) 'Child' means any individual who is:
(A) Under the age of 17 years;
<snip>
(12) 'Unruly child' means a child who:
<snip>
(D) Without just cause and without the consent of his or her parent or legal custodian deserts his or her home or place of abode;

The applicable Georgia Codes can be found at:
http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/GaCode/Title15.pdf
http://www.legis.state.ga.us/legis/GaCode/Title16.pdf

rmet4nzkx

The wellbeing of the unborn child is the first priority, and the responsibility for that rests with its parents. Although her parents can do many things, it is best to let things cool down and be supportive, depending on how far along she is the xrays may not cause a problem and there is nothing that can be done now it's too late, all the more reason to keep stress down. Perhaps you can be an intermediary between them and give them an opportunity to get together and begin to talk and plan for the future begining with appropriate prenatal care. She should stop birth control pills, but she can continue in school and continue to get good grades, cheer leading will be out for a while ;) There is no reason she cannot finish school and even go to college many people do, it can be a positive experience. Grand children are a gift.

C

colfos

I just found out that she is 5-6 weeks pregnant. You are right about the unborn child, but I don't want to get into pro and anti abortion. I tried to intermediate. I tried to get her to come with me to my home. To keep the focus off of the boyfriend. She doesn't want to talk to anyone on "her" side of the family. But the guy was so arrogant, it was hard to be patient. I know her parents will be supportive. They were hit by the initial shock, as any parent would be.

rmet4nzkx

You don't have to get into pro or anti-abortion, that is her decision alone no one else's, so her reaction is understandable. The best place for her and her baby is where she feels supported, she wasn't getting that at home, perhaps in the future but this just happened. She wasn't an unruley child because she has the right to make the chioce whether to have an abortion so her refusal doesn't qualify. I'm sure her parents will want what is best for her, sending the father to jail isn't going to accomplish anything positive and only drive a wedge between her and her parents when she needs their support. 5-6 weeks xrays may/may not harm the fetus there is an "all or nothing" theory either it causes miscarriage or no harm, so she needs to begin her prenatal care soon so they can assess the risks, the first trimester is the gretest risk.

C

colfos

Thank you for your support. I know you are right. It's still hard right now. We love her and will do what is best. Thank you for opening my eyes. That's all for now.

rmet4nzkx

Try to have a nice evening, things will look better in the morning, lets hope for a healthy pregnancy and supportive relationships.

cmorris

Before I found out I was pregnant, I had x-rays performed at the dentist AND had been put under for surgery (I was 4-5 weeks along). Once I found out, I was very concerned about the effects. My doctor assured me the baby would be fine and not to worry. As it turns out, he was right (thank goodness)! The rationale is that when you get the x-rays at the dentist, the exposure is very brief. And you usually have the "bag" on you to decrease the exposure. The anesthesia was what to worry about (and in this case, doesn't apply)--but my baby is perfect :) .

Your granddaughter can continue to attend school; many girls do. There are a lot of programs to help her.

And I completely agree with rmet concerning the bf.

C

colfos

new info

I have since found out that my goddaughter quit taking her birth control pills 2 months ago. It seems she intended to get pregnant without discussing it with her boyfriend. She is not as innocent as I hoped

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">