• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statutory rape?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1worriedmom

What is the name of your state? Mississippi
My daughter, who is 16 has just told me that she's 3 months pregnant by a 23 year old boy. Neither kids want to keep the baby; they've both agreed that she have it and put it up for adoption...but, this was before I heard about all this. First of all, can this be considered statutory rape? Secondly, do I have any legal right to say what happens to this child since she is a minor? I'm still in SHOCK about all this and just trying to figure out what would be best...

Happy Trails

1worriedmom said:
My daughter, who is 16 has just told me that she's 3 months pregnant by a 23 year old boy. Neither kids want to keep the baby; they've both agreed that she have it and put it up for adoption...but, this was before I heard about all this. First of all, can this be considered statutory rape? Secondly, do I have any legal right to say what happens to this child since she is a minor? I'm still in SHOCK about all this and just trying to figure out what would be best...
From Mississippi statutes:

SEC. 97-3-67. Rape; carnal knowledge of unmarried persons over fourteen and under eighteen years of age.

Any person who shall have carnal knowledge of any unmarried person of previously chaste character younger than himself or herself and over fourteen (14) and under eighteen (18) years of age, upon conviction, shall be punished either by a fine not exceeding Five Hundred Dollars ($500.00), or by imprisonment in the county jail not longer than six (6) months, or by both such fine and imprisonment or by imprisonment in the penitentiary not exceeding five (5) years; and such punishment, within said limitation, shall be fixed by the jury trying each case, or by the court upon the entry of a plea of guilty.

Sorry, you have no legal say on the baby.

Speed Racer

worried mom.....

Just because we have laws, rules, and regulations does not always mean that they are right or just. I will take a guess and say your a single mom? Weigh all the facts before you make any decisions. If you have approved of this young man seeing your daughter or had knowledge of their friendship then I would have to say that it's not going to do society any favors by having him incarcerated for statutory rape. If your daughter feels as if she were violated and victimized then you should prosecute him to the fullest. If your daughter cares for this young man and he faces prosecution and incarceration then not only will it cause your daughter more emotional pain and stress, the baby will suffer as well. I have a 15 and 16 year old daughters that I home school and watch their every move, but if I were in your position I would weigh the facts, if in a position, convince the kids that you will adopt the child and that it is best placed with you. You do have choices, and some what control of the situation, if they insist on putting the baby up for adoption then you insist on putting him in jail. Everybody wins, society wins cause they don't have the burden of the cost of incarceration, he wins cause he doesn't go to jail and have to register as a sex offender the rest of his life, and you and your daughter win cause she has a mom that loves her and is willing to make such extreme sacrifices for her daughter and soon grandchild. My feeling is your daughter is scared ,embarrassed and feeling ashamed, give her love and support and some time, then make a decision. Good luck.

If it's a boy name him Michael :}

P.S. People love to judge others and point fingers, be low profile about the situation, you can't change yesterday. What's done is done. Live for today and tomorrow.

AHA

1worriedmom said:
Neither kids want to keep the baby
I'm sorry to hear about this situation, it could have so easily been avoided.

The 23 year old is NOT a kid and he knew exactly the risks he was taking and how to avoid pregnancy, if he had done this to my daughter I'd be all over him like a bad rash. It's unforgivable. At 16 you don't know much about anything, although if you choose to have sex you should research what the consequences are, but for a 23 year old, it's just ignorant and stupid.
If it happens once it can easily happen again and again.

Veronica1228

1worriedmom said:
As has been said previously, you have no say in the baby because it is your daughter's decision. However, I hope after time when you have given this some more thought that you are able to support her decision to give the baby up for adoption. Your daughter is only 16 and has made a HUGE mistake, but I'm sure she realizes that now. She would be compounding that mistake if she decided to keep the baby. At least your daughter is now showing some sense and not doing the "easy" thing (abortion) or the "selfish" thing (keeping it). She is much too young to raise a baby even with your help. Also, there are a lot of childless couples out there that can give this baby a good and stable home. Something that he/she deserves.

Either way, good luck to you and your family. I hope everything works out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">