• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statutory Rape?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

islandgirl_coco

So, this has REALLY been disturbing me... I need some opinions.. I have no idea why, maybe I feel it's sooooo wrong because my Mom was so strict with me when I was a teenager.. Here goes: So, me and my fiance relocated here to California almost a year and a half ago.. For the meantime, we've been staying at my Fiance's father's home, which his father, step-mother, step-brother, & teenage half-sister reside in... For about 6 months now my fiance's teenage sister has been seeing an adult, she is 16 and her boyfriend just turned 20... The really disturbing part - my fiance's father and step-mother allow him over, AND not only for a short period of time - they allow him in her room with closed doors, overnight!!! And he is practically living with us now!!! So, am I overreacting? Should I not make a big deal of this? I know I am not her mother and her parents ARE okay with it but I just find it so wrong and disgusting... I try so hard to accept it and get along with her boyfriend but I just can't seem accept the circumstances.. Pls. tell me your opinion... Am I wrong for feeling this way? Is this wrong or okay?

Last edited:

CdwJava

The girl's parents are facilitating a felony and can be charged with child neglect and even child abuse should the state choose to charge them.

The 20 year old boyfriend is committing a felony and can go to prison.

This is NOT a situation that any adult wants to be living in lest they find themselves wrapped up in a potential criminal investigation.

- Carl

mike_lee

Originally Posted by Zigner View Post
No difference.
If you are REALLY concerned, make an anonymous call to Child Protective Services.
That's a great way to start off with the new in laws, have them incarcerated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That's a great way to start off with the new in laws, have them incarcerated.
So, just to be clear: You are suggesting that the OP (who has knowledge that a child is being raped repeatedly) NOT report it to the authorities.

Mike - please go away until you can come up with something even remotely close to legally accurate advice.

GatorLaw

California Statute

§ 261.5. Unlawful sexual intercourse with person under 18; age of perpetrator; civil penalties

(a) Unlawful sexual intercourse is an act of sexual intercourse accomplished with a person who is not the spouse of the perpetrator, if the person is a minor. For the purposes of this section, a “minor” is a person under the age of 18 years and an “adult” is a person who is at least 18 years of age.

(b) Any person who engages in an act of unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor who is not more than three years older or three years younger than the perpetrator, is guilty of a misdemeanor.

(c) Any person who engages in an act of unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor who is more than three years younger than the perpetrator is guilty of either a misdemeanor or a felony, and shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or by imprisonment in the state prison.

(d) Any person 21 years of age or older who engages in an act of unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor who is under 16 years of age is guilty of either a misdemeanor or a felony, and shall be punished by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or by imprisonment in the state prison for two, three, or four years.

(e)(1) Notwithstanding any other provision of this section, an adult who engages in an act of sexual intercourse with a minor in violation of this section may be liable for civil penalties in the following amounts:

(A) An adult who engages in an act of unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor less than two years younger than the adult is liable for a civil penalty not to exceed two thousand dollars ($2,000).

(B) An adult who engages in an act of unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor at least two years younger than the adult is liable for a civil penalty not to exceed five thousand dollars ($5,000).

(C) An adult who engages in an act of unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor at least three years younger than the adult is liable for a civil penalty not to exceed ten thousand dollars ($10,000).

(D) An adult over the age of 21 years who engages in an act of unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor under 16 years of age is liable for a civil penalty not to exceed twenty-five thousand dollars ($25,000).

(2) The district attorney may bring actions to recover civil penalties pursuant to this subdivision. From the amounts collected for each case, an amount equal to the costs of pursuing the action shall be deposited with the treasurer of the county in which the judgment was entered, and the remainder shall be deposited in the Underage Pregnancy Prevention Fund, which is hereby created in the State Treasury. Amounts deposited in the Underage Pregnancy Prevention Fund may be used only for the purpose of preventing underage pregnancy upon appropriation by the Legislature.

(3) In addition to any punishment imposed under this section, the judge may assess a fine not to exceed seventy dollars ($70) against any person who violates this section with the proceeds of this fine to be used in accordance with Section 1463.23. The court shall, however, take into consideration the defendant's ability to pay, and no defendant shall be denied probation because of his or her inability to pay the fine permitted under this subdivision.

SharpieGirl1010

here's what i found for your problem!

hey my name is Kammie I'm no legal expert but I found this I hope it helps!

Age of Consent
The age of consent is the age when the law says you can agree to have sex. In most countries it means until you reach this age you can not legally have sex with anyone, regardless of their age old. In the United States and Canada this is the same situation. Sometimes the law is different if you are female or male.

STATE AGE
Alabama 16
Alaska 16
Arizona 18
Arkansas 16
California 18
Colorado 15
Connecticut 15
D.C. 16
Delaware 16
Florida 16/18 (bill pending)
Georgia 16
Hawaii 14
Idaho 14
Illinois 16/17
Indiana 16
Iowa 18
Kansas 16
Kentucky 16 - [1]
Louisiana 17
Maine 16
Maryland 16
Massachusetts 16/18
Michigan 16
Minnesota 16
Mississippi 16 - [2]
Missouri 17
Montana 16
Nebraska 16
Nevada 16
New Hampshire 16/18
New Jersey 16/18
New Mexico 17
New York 17
North Carolina 16
North Dakota 18
Ohio 16
Oklahoma 16
Oregon 18
Pennsylvania 16
Rhode Island 16
South Carolina 14/16
South Dakota 16
Tennessee 18
Texas 17
Utah 16/18
Vermont 16
Virginia 15
Washington 16
West Virginia 16
Wisconsin 18
Wyoming 16
Puerto Rico 18

SharpieGirl1010

I hope this helps!

ok the legal age of consent for California is 18 so yes he commited a felony and if you turn him in

1# you have to have proof of the sex act
2#you have to report him (also put into context of how she'll feel toward you after you do it)
3#he WILL be labeled as a sex offender

(not a lawyer but I hope this helps in anyway!)
opinion: if I were related to her in anyway I'd turn him in for it. He knows it's wrong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">