• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statutory rape

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

panda1148

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

I am 23 years old. I am a single mom. I have a lot of problems with my daughters father. He is a horrible person and the whole nine yards of nasty child custody battles. Everyone says that my mom and I should press statutory rape charges on him. Heres the story:

I was 15 when i met him. I was on the internet and he was chatting with me. He told me he was 18. we agreed to meet. We fooled around a little at first. He completely looks 18, lives at home with his mother. I believed him. When he told me he had something to tell me about his age, I could have sworn that he was going to tell me he was younger than 18. I was wrong! He was actually 23! At the time i was having problems with my step dad and talking to a guy who was interested in me for the first time was fun. especially when he drove a nice car. We had sex four weeks after we started seeing eachother. I helped him lie to my mom and step-dad. We continued to have a relationship. At 16 I moved out of my parents and into his (he was still living with his parents). when i was 17 i got pregnant. She was born six months after my 18th birthday. it was an extremely tumoltuous relationship. He lied to me constantly. Many times I found that he was chatting to young girls again on the internet. It disturbed me greatly. Finally after 5 years I left him. I was tired of his lying and manipulating me constantly.

So now I am here to this point. I would like to see him go away for it. Im almost sure that He still talks to young girls on the internet, manipulates them as well because he never stopped anytime i asked him to, and then made further efforts to cover it up(I chatted with the girls myself when we lived together, warned them, and told them they should back off for their own safety). I should have reported him for this when I had concrete proof, but when you are young and have a baby its hard to do these things to the child, like take their dad away. I am still struggling with this. Nevertheless, everyone is telling me and my mother to report him and try to press charges. Mostly because he continues to file unnessecary child custody petitions. I worry about him manipulating her as she gets older. she says weird stuff already, she says her daddy told her to say it. I am not a bad mother, I spend more time with her and teach her things and do more things with her than most anybody i know does with their kids. He just likes to throw tantrums.

Summing it all up:
Do I or my mother have legal rights to what he did to me? Does this effect the child custody issue or do they influence the other? Would it cost a large amount of money? Would lawyers or attorneys or detectives be able to subpeona MSN or AOL for his account information to prove what is being alleged? Would it still be able to go to court even though its been 8 years since the first time we had sex? Could witnesses and evidence be relevent enough?

I do not want to make this battle about me, but what he did was wrong, I am just now at 23 realizing what kind of person he really is.

Perky

I don't know how your mother would have any legal rights here. She allowed you to move out of your house, and move in with him.

At 16yo in Iowa, you were legally able to give consent if you were not coerced. Although you say you were sexually active at 15, I don't know how you could prove it. You can contact the authorities to see if anything can be done.

You can alert the authorities to what you THINK he's doing, but without any proof they may not do anything.

In a custody battle, IMO this sounds like sour grapes.

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

I am 23 years old. I am a single mom. I have a lot of problems with my daughters father. He is a horrible person and the whole nine yards of nasty child custody battles. Everyone says that my mom and I should press statutory rape charges on him. Heres the story:

I was 15 when i met him. I was on the internet and he was chatting with me. He told me he was 18. we agreed to meet. We fooled around a little at first. He completely looks 18, lives at home with his mother. I believed him. When he told me he had something to tell me about his age, I could have sworn that he was going to tell me he was younger than 18. I was wrong! He was actually 23! At the time i was having problems with my step dad and talking to a guy who was interested in me for the first time was fun. especially when he drove a nice car. We had sex four weeks after we started seeing eachother. I helped him lie to my mom and step-dad. We continued to have a relationship. At 16 I moved out of my parents and into his (he was still living with his parents). when i was 17 i got pregnant. She was born six months after my 18th birthday. it was an extremely tumoltuous relationship. He lied to me constantly. Many times I found that he was chatting to young girls again on the internet. It disturbed me greatly. Finally after 5 years I left him. I was tired of his lying and manipulating me constantly.

So now I am here to this point. I would like to see him go away for it. Im almost sure that He still talks to young girls on the internet, manipulates them as well because he never stopped anytime i asked him to, and then made further efforts to cover it up(I chatted with the girls myself when we lived together, warned them, and told them they should back off for their own safety). I should have reported him for this when I had concrete proof, but when you are young and have a baby its hard to do these things to the child, like take their dad away. I am still struggling with this. Nevertheless, everyone is telling me and my mother to report him and try to press charges. Mostly because he continues to file unnessecary child custody petitions. I worry about him manipulating her as she gets older. she says weird stuff already, she says her daddy told her to say it. I am not a bad mother, I spend more time with her and teach her things and do more things with her than most anybody i know does with their kids. He just likes to throw tantrums.

Summing it all up:
Do I or my mother have legal rights to what he did to me? Does this effect the child custody issue or do they influence the other? Would it cost a large amount of money? Would lawyers or attorneys or detectives be able to subpeona MSN or AOL for his account information to prove what is being alleged? Would it still be able to go to court even though its been 8 years since the first time we had sex? Could witnesses and evidence be relevent enough?

I do not want to make this battle about me, but what he did was wrong, I am just now at 23 realizing what kind of person he really is.
Sure...go ahead and file a complaint. It is unlikely to affect the custody results and your mother will end up in prison as well...but whatever floats your boat!!:rolleyes:

>Charlotte<

Lurker
At 16yo in Iowa, you were legally able to give consent if you were not coerced.
I believe that may be, according to Iowa law, provided that her sexual partner is no more than four years older than she. Although the cut-off in that case may be 15, not 16. I'm not sure--but I'm also not clear on whether OP started having sex with this guy at 15 or 16.

I won't defend an adult who has sex with a child under any circumstances, but I do find it distasteful that OP suddenly wants to take advantage of the law simply because her prince isn't so charming anymore. This isn't about doing the right thing because this guy is a sex offender, this is about OP's spiteful desire to win a custody battle. In the end, the only victim in this case is probably going to be OP's child.

Perky

I believe that may be, according to Iowa law, provided that her sexual partner is no more than four years older than she. Although the cut-off in that case may be 15, not 16. I'm not sure--but I'm also not clear on whether OP started having sex with this guy at 15 or 16.
I found Mandatory Reporting Guidelines for Iowa. I don't know how to link it, because the link I found is a Word doc. Anyway, this is what I found:
Points to Consider:
• 12- and 13-year-old minors are unable to give legal consent for sexual activity.
• If a 14- or 15 year old minor has a partner who is less than 4 years older, s/he can give legal consent for sexual activity as long as s/he is not being coerced.
• As long as a 16- or 17-year-old minor is not being coerced, s/he is of legal age to consent to sexual activity according to the Iowa Criminal Code.
I didn't search the code for other possible offenses. Since OP clearly has other motives, as you so eloquently stated, I didn't put a lot of effort into it!

>Charlotte<

Lurker
I found Mandatory Reporting Guidelines for Iowa.
I'm still not understanding whether the minor's consent becomes moot if: a) the minor is 15 (as the OP may or may not have been) and b) the older partner is more than four years older than the minor (as is the case here).

I kinda like the direction Bay is going in, though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">