• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statutory rape can it be charged in this case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NCSC

N.H. My ex and I have a 22 y/o 6 mo. His birthday is Aug 76 mine is March 75 we are 15 months apart. He owes me $12,000.00 back child support for our daughter. It was court mandated. He called and asked me to call Child Support and drop the case so he can get on with his life. When I gave him an alternative which was I could agree to a lesser amount one lump sum paid to our daughter. He said "You know NCSC technically if you don't drop this and do what I want I can have you charged with statutory rape." Is this true? Our Daughter was born March of 93 he has never had anything to do with her. Anyways he says he was 15 and I was 17 at the time. I believe he had already turned 16. Please help. I don't want to be threatened by him with this kind of crime.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
N.H. My ex and I have a 22 y/o 6 mo. His birthday is Aug 76 mine is March 75 we are 15 months apart. He owes me $12,000.00 back child support for our daughter. It was court mandated. He called and asked me to call Child Support and drop the case so he can get on with his life. When I gave him an alternative which was I could agree to a lesser amount one lump sum paid to our daughter. He said "You know NCSC technically if you don't drop this and do what I want I can have you charged with statutory rape." Is this true? Our Daughter was born March of 93 he has never had anything to do with her. Anyways he says he was 15 and I was 17 at the time. I believe he had already turned 16. Please help. I don't want to be threatened by him with this kind of crime.
I'd ignore him and let the course run for the $12k.

ETA: See http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/resources/new-hampshire-statutory-rape-laws.htm for more information (not an endorsement - just a link I found on Google.)

If you're the fightin' type, you could tell him that blackmail is the only crime that would be investigated if he wants to go that route...

Last edited:

CdwJava

I suspect the statute of limitations for HIS crime has long since passed. His attempt to blackmail you, however, is a current crime and as Zigner mentioned, the blackmail (aka extortion) is the only crime that would be looked at here.

Keep pursuing the back child support if you can.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I suspect the statute of limitations for HIS crime has long since passed. His attempt to blackmail you, however, is a current crime and as Zigner mentioned, the blackmail (aka extortion) is the only crime that would be looked at here.

Keep pursuing the back child support if you can.
NH has a Romeo & Juliet clause of 5 years. No statutory rape occurred.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">