• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statutory Rape-Colorado law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

ejh52

We live in Colorado. I am concerned about my 19 year old son who has recently started "seeing" a 15-year old girl. He tells me that they are not having sex. I checked some Colorado statutes to see if he could be charged with statutory rape, and based on what I found, it doesn't seem like he could be. I must be missing something.
What I found is: CRS 18-3-405 says "Any actor who knowingly subjects another not his or her spouse to any sexual contact commits sexual assault on a child if the victim is less than fifteen years of age and the actor is at least four years older than the victim." CRS 18-3-404: (1) Any actor who knowingly subjects a victim to any sexual contact commits unlawful sexual contact if: (a) The actor knows that the victim does not consent; or (b) The actor knows that the victim is incapable of appraising the nature of the victim's conduct.
Are there other statutes that apply to his situation (is there something else he could be charged with, especially if the girl's parent(s) find out and contact the police)? What is the likelihood that the District Attorney would actually prosecute my son if the police are contacted?

Thanks for your help.

Son of Slam

The actor knows that the victim is incapable of appraising the nature of the victim's conduct.

Dose this make Kobe guilty?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">