• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statutory Rape Internet And Other Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

punzada

Ok here is the situation, I have a feeling a friend of mine may be getting himself or his girlfriend into some type of legal trouble, from what i've read so far ( www.ageofconsent.com) it's legal, but i've been told that according to specific federal laws it's not but i have not been able to find a documented case of them.
Here is their situation:

They met over the internet and exchanged in little things back and forth, He ( a NY state resident ) at age 17 and Her ( a MD state resident ) at age 35 have developed a relationship since then. While I personally don't morally agree with this decision, my friend honestly is in love with this woman and I want him to be happy.

Now I've read the "age of consent" In MD is 16 and in NY is 17, but i have been unable to find specific case references or information to any federal laws that may make their situation illegal.

someone please help me in this matter, i'm highly concerned for my friend and the woman he cares for, thank you for all your help.

JETX

"i have been unable to find specific case references or information to any federal laws that may make their situation illegal."
*** And you won't be able to. The state law where the act occurs would define the specific age of consent and whether any laws were broken. Interstate 'dating' in itself is not illegal.

The only way that this could become a federal issue would be if she forced him across state lines, or if they laid right ON the state line at the time ('straddling' both states, so to speak!).

P

punzada

thanks for all your help, has helped in putting my mind at ease about the issue, any additional information is always welcomed, thanks again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">