• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statutory rape laws in texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bst82551

What is the name of your state? Texas

I live in Texas. I'm 17 years of age... turned 17 on December 19th. I have a girlfriend that is 14 that will be 15 on July 27th. Is it illegal for us to participate in sexual intercourse?

If it is in fact, illegal(as my girlfriend's stepdad stated), then when will it be legal for us to participate in sexual intercourse? I don't plan on having sex with her anytime soon... if ever, I just want to know if he is right. He is a criminal investigator and seems to be fairly knowledgeable in legal matters, but he could just be saying this to scare me away from her(he doesn't like me very much).

Brian

Last edited:

Happy Trails

bst82551 said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

I live in Texas. I'm 17 years of age... turned 17 on December 19th. I have a girlfriend that is 14 that will be 15 on July 27th. Is it illegal for us to participate in sexual intercourse?

If it is in fact, illegal(as my girlfriend's stepdad stated), then when will it be legal for us to participate in sexual intercourse? I don't plan on having sex with her anytime soon... if ever, I just want to know if he is right. He is a criminal investigator and seems to be fairly knowledgeable in legal matters, but he could just be saying this to scare me away from her(he doesn't like me very much).

Brian
§ 21.11. INDECENCY WITH A CHILD. (a) A person commits
an offense if, with a child younger than 17 years and not the
person's spouse, whether the child is of the same or opposite sex,
the person:
(1) engages in sexual contact with the child or causes
the child to engage in sexual contact; or
(2) with intent to arouse or gratify the sexual desire
of any person:
(A) exposes the person's anus or any part of the
person's genitals, knowing the child is present; or
(B) causes the child to expose the child's anus
or any part of the child's genitals.
(b) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under this
section that the actor:
(1) was not more than three years older than the victim
and of the opposite sex;
(2) did not use duress, force, or a threat against the
victim at the time of the offense; and
(3) at the time of the offense:
(A) was not required under Chapter 62, Code of
Criminal Procedure, to register for life as a sex offender; or
(B) was not a person who under Chapter 62 had a
reportable conviction or adjudication for an offense under this
section.
(c) In this section, "sexual contact" means the following
acts, if committed with the intent to arouse or gratify the sexual
desire of any person:
(1) any touching by a person, including touching
through clothing, of the anus, breast, or any part of the genitals
of a child; or
(2) any touching of any part of the body of a child,
including touching through clothing, with the anus, breast, or any
part of the genitals of a person.
(d) An offense under Subsection (a)(1) is a felony of the
second degree and an offense under Subsection (a)(2) is a felony of
the third degree.

***Be aware that there are other laws that you could violate, and if the parents are against you seeing their daughter they probably will pursue them.

Not too many parents would be enthused that their 14-year old daughter was dating a 17-year old.

jcampa7687

State : Texas

Here is the case I just turned 18 in july and i started dating my gf when i was 17 and she was just about to be 16. Well now she is 16 and she might be pregnant can I get in trouble we arent even 2 years apart we are a little bit less cus she will turn 17 in april.

chod

Yes You Can Be Arrested...just From This Post

Congradulations, you have basically adimtted to being a Sex Offender... first of all Texas no longer has a "statituatory" rape.. Everyone is lumped into one huge pile - you will be looked at just like any of the other 90,000 registered sex-offenders in the State of Texas - as a child molester.

The whole 2 year thing is just a "defense to the prosecution" - this means that your age difference should be considered during the "SENTENCING"phase. Not the GUILT OR INNOCENCE PHASE".

We have a neighbor who was 14, got his 14 year old girlfriend pregnant, got arrested for Indecency with a Child - (why didn't she also, I wonder???) Was charged and convicted, married the girl, has another child with her - and is STILL a REGISTERED SEX OFFENDER... Go figure..

Your playing with fire---

BelizeBreeze

chod said:
Congradulations, you have basically adimtted to being a Sex Offender... first of all Texas no longer has a "statituatory" rape.. Everyone is lumped into one huge pile - you will be looked at just like any of the other 90,000 registered sex-offenders in the State of Texas - as a child molester.

The whole 2 year thing is just a "defense to the prosecution" - this means that your age difference should be considered during the "SENTENCING"phase. Not the GUILT OR INNOCENCE PHASE".

We have a neighbor who was 14, got his 14 year old girlfriend pregnant, got arrested for Indecency with a Child - (why didn't she also, I wonder???) Was charged and convicted, married the girl, has another child with her - and is STILL a REGISTERED SEX OFFENDER... Go figure..

Your playing with fire---
This is the third post I have read that is more than a month old. So why are you dredging up posts that are old and that have been answered already?

HappyHusband

BelizeBreeze said:
This is the third post I have read that is more than a month old. So why are you dredging up posts that are old and that have been answered already?
Look at all of chod's posts. Some go back to 2001 !

chod

What if, just what if a person were doing research for their actual case - and they wanted REAL answers. Not just the insults that you offer. Then REAL answers, no matter how long they are posted AFTER the initial question - MIGHT be appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">