• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statutory rape in ohio

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kristen T

If a male of 18 years of age, has sex with a girl while she is 16 and 17 more than three times, is that considered statutory rape in Ohio?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Before I go in depth, if you are indeed a woman who is asking, and you are the woman who has had such sexual activity while you are a minor, please do not seek an answer as a way to get back at the male. I am a female myself and have across many woman who use the statutory rape law to get a guy in trouble because they are mad at him. I am not accusing you of anything, but please understand this law is intended to protect minors, who are deemed by the law unable to make such possible life altering decisions on their own (also to protect from child molestors, etc.)

Now that being said, once is enough. Statutory rape is a strict liability crime in most states (need to ask your district atttorney's office if mistake as to age is a defense in your state). Strict liability crimes are this: you are guilty for the simple fact of committing the crime. No intent is needed. I.e. you did not need to intend commit statutory rape (i.e. actually seeking a minor).

Hope this helps.

D

Davyd

No.

In Ohio, the legal age of consent is 16. (cf. Sections 2907.02, 2097.04, 2907.06, etc of the Ohio Criminal Code). Interestingly, the felony charge of corruption of a minor (2907.02) wrt a 14 or 15 year old is not strict liability whereas the misdemeanor charge of sexual imposition (2907.06) for a person of the same age *is*.

------------------
-- All opinions which I post are Mine and Mine alone, though I'm willing to share.

[This message has been edited by Davyd (edited October 28, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">