• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stealing under $500

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AceHigh300

I am in Missouri. This is the second time I am attempting this post, the first time, I got a message saying I needed to log in first (although I was already logged in) so I hope it works. I stole a book from my college bookstore. The arresting officer told me that if I didn't let him search my car (which wasn't involved in any way) he'd lock me up and search it anyway, whereas if I let him, I could go after booking. In the car there were 2 UPC tags from books I'd bought, and a shredded printout of a drawing that the officer claimed was LSD. They added the value of the 2 UPC tags to the value of the book I'd bought (as far as the value of the stuff stolen, that is), over my protests. They also said that even if the LSD-stuff wasn't LSD, they were charging me with intent to distribute imitation controlled substance. Also, since the bookstore buys books back at 1/2 their value, said value being $96 for the books listed on the UPC codes, the officer took $100 from my money in my wallet for "restitution to the bookstore", and refused to give me a receipt, or in fact any proof that they'd taken the money. I want to know a) Can they really charge me for the paper strips? b) What about the $100?? Can I get it back/use it against the Cops in court/use it to my benefit in court? c) I have no convictions, and 1 arrest. What kind of penalties am I looking at for this?

Also, the college in question is my school. I dropped of a friend there the other day, and all of the sudden, several cops were surrounding me, searched my car (without my consent) found a pair of scissors and threatened to charge me with having a concealed weapon. I told them to go ahead and be laughingstocks, it'd help my case. They then said EVERY TIME I came on campus, they'd stop me a search my car, student their or not. I have this on tape (I carry a micro cassette recorder for just this circumstance) Can I use this to my benefit, or in filing a harassment suit?

Last edited:

FarmerJ

Best bet is to speak with a lawyer in your own state , arrange for a consultation . if you dont know of a lawyer I suggest you use this web sites FIND A LAWYER link and use it to search for one ,

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">