• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stealing from work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kimpura65

What is the name of your state? NY

Found out that my wife has stolen money from work over about the last 4 years (approx $25,000). No one knows at her place of employment. She is feeling very guilty and wants to come forward and tell the truth and pay back the money. Should we do this? We want to make this right. Thank you

A

avalongod

stealing

I can't advise you to break the law or to continue doing so. However, be aware that this company would be within their rights to press charges for embezzlement, which could very likely include some jail time.

If assuaging your guilt is the main problem, donating the money to charity may help (although, again, I am not necessarily advising you to do so).

I would consult with a lawyer before you make any overtures to the company.

JETX

Jeeezee... ignore that 'donate the money to a charity' crap. If you did that, then you won't have it to repay the VICTIM when they ask for it back.... unless you want to pay twice.

I suggest you contact an attorney to act as an intermediary in this. The attorney could contact the employer and try to negotiate repayment of the money in return for them not pressing civil or criminal charges. Of course, you realize that she will lose her job at a minimum.

A

avalongod

I meant the charity part under the assumption that the place of employment was unaware of the theft (which is what I gathered from the original post). Obviously, if they are aware, then it would be pointless.

I'm not sure that it is wise to volunteer to this place of employment that you embezzled from them. Again (and I do agree with the other poster, as abrasive as he may have been) you should consult with a lawyer before doing anything.

JETX

And lets play your little game....
The employer doesn't know of this theft YET. So, your post is on the assumption that the employer will NOT become aware of it. That is simply moronic and NOT proper LEGAL advice.
If you aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

Beth3

kimpura, speaking as an HR executive, I can assure you that JETX's advice is sound. Her employer WILL eventually discover the embezzlement. Better your wife come forward voluntarily now before that happens. Use an attorney as intermediary and hope the employer decides not to press criminal charges because your wife has 'fessed up on her own volition. Your wife should obviously anticipate her employment will be terminated.

JETX

Nav:
Please don't try to hijack someone elses thread, even if it is similar to your situation. This not only is confusing in trying to respond, but is also rude and unfair to the original poster.

N

navgf

I am sorry, that was not my intention. I will start a new thread.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">