• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stessed... is there a statute of limitations?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

teeneygirl22

What is the name of your state? New York

A friend of mine took some items from another student in Jr High (8th grade, age 13-14). This was in NY state (not city). My friend who took the items tossed them somewhere on her property (it was jewelry, I would say the value was under $1000.00). My friend was accused of this by the student that she took the jewelry from, but the police were not involved and my friend did not get into any trouble for this from the school as there was no proof.

What my friend was wondering was, is there a statute of limitations for this crime? If my friend moves, and the new owners, by some odd chance find the stolen property (one item was class ring, obviously with the girls name on it, who my friend stole it from), can be friend be held liable criminally or civilly, if the item is returned to the owner? My friend has looked for this ring where she threw it and the other items, but cannot find them. This happen over 10 years ago. And for some reason she started thinking about it again and it worried. She feels bad for what she did.

stephenk

10 years ago! tell her to forget about the matter. any statute of limitations on theft and/or buglary charges have expired.

make her take you out for a fancy dinner for finding the answer to her question. that should make up for the theft. remember, order the most expensive items on the menu.

T

teeneygirl22

Thanks! We've been looking online all day for what the statute if limitations was in NY. Couldn't find it. Anyone know where to look? Is there a statute for civil suits?

T

teeneygirl22

Us again. Just want to make sure there is NO way to get in trouble for this, civilly or criminally.

O

OnlyOneVoice

If your friend really feels badly, she could certainly make an effort to make restoration.

She could purchase items as close to identical and take them to the girl she stole them from and make huge apologies.

I doubt in the face of an admission and in restoration of the property that the offended party would pursue it. And this would go a long way in removing your friends guilty conscience.

Also, you could rent a metal detector and see if you can find the jewelry that way as well. If it was quality jewelry, its time in the "dirt" shouldn't damage it beyond repair.

T

teeneygirl22

That would be a good idea, but I don't see it happening. The stuff is pretty much gone for good, somewhere in a wooded area. Lots of dead leaves and stuff.

We were just wondering about the statute of limitations for this, to make sure nothing can be done about it at a later date. Just incase someone decides to clean up the wooded area and the class ring turns up. But we highly doubt this would happen.

Is there a webpage that talks about the statute of limitations for a crime like this? We were thinking nothing could be done since she was about 13-14 when it happened and it was over 10 years ago, and the police were never called. My friend is a good girl now. Going to grad school and will be married soon.

Anymore input would be great!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">