• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stole from inside my house?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CJparker

What is the name of your state?
Florida

I invited a "friend" into my buddys house and I hadn't seen the guy in about 4 years and he ended up stealing about $700.00 worth of video games from my friends house. I invited him and he stayed the night and stole the games the next day. He's living out of his car and driving around somewhere in town so its possible the games are still in his car. Anything I can do?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state?
Florida

I invited a "friend" into my buddys house and I hadn't seen the guy in about 4 years and he ended up stealing about $700.00 worth of video games from my friends house. I invited him and he stayed the night and stole the games the next day. He's living out of his car and driving around somewhere in town so its possible the games are still in his car. Anything I can do?
Turn yourself in? Or, return the games and hope your buddy is in a forgiving mood.

CJparker

Hello,
Im not the one who stole the games. Im renting a room in a friends house and staying here for 2 months in his house. I invited a friend over. The friend who came over stole video games from the house Im staying in. They are my other friends video games (the guy who owns the house). Can I report this to the police or no because I invited him in?

BL

Hello,
Im not the one who stole the games. Im renting a room in a friends house and staying here for 2 months in his house. I invited a friend over. The friend who came over stole video games from the house Im staying in. They are my other friends video games (the guy who owns the house). Can I report this to the police or no because I invited him in?
The guy you're renting from can file a complaint with the PD .

If unrecoverable you LL can file claim against you in court and get a Judgement .

CJparker

I already purchased all the games again for the land lord, but I'm wondering what would happen if he fills out a police report. What can the police really do because we don't have him on video or anything stealing the games. Is it even worth it to fill out a report now?

CdwJava

I already purchased all the games again for the land lord, but I'm wondering what would happen if he fills out a police report. What can the police really do because we don't have him on video or anything stealing the games. Is it even worth it to fill out a report now?
Well ... if no police report is filed, all you can do is ASK him to give back the goods. If one IS filed, then maybe he can be compelled to do so.

If you do not report this to the police, he'll just keep stealing from friends because he will have no reason not to ... after all, they just let him get away with it and then replace what he stole!

Heck, the landlord may not report it because you made him whole - why should he care, now? The question is, will you report him?

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">