• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen Airline Ticket, Recieved help, Demands for Reimbursement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

miniflex

I am located in California near Los Angeles. In January of this year, I was in Osaka, Japan staying a "friend's " apartment. I went on a short trip and left some of my luggage and my return flight ticket at the apartment. When I returned, some small things of mine were "missing" as well as my return flight ticket. I searched the apartment up and down and could not find the ticket. I highly suspect the "friend" of stealing the ticket as my stuff was moved and had obviously been opened.

To make a long story short, the "friend" gave me cash for a new return flight ticket. I was very happy to return home on time but very dissappointed in the fact that I could not trust this person.

Today I recieved a threatening phone call from this "friend" demanding reimbursement for my return flight ticket. I asked them to explain why they stole my ticket and got no response other than, "I will contact my american lawyer."

The "friend" is a Japanese National with no U.S. visa and paid me in cash so there is no record that I recieved the money from them nor do they have legal status in the USA. I plan to check with my airline to see if my stolen ticket was cashed or traded in at all by anyone. Either way, my question is, am I legally obligated to give this "friend" any money?

M

miniflex

Yes, she gave me the cash for the ticket but now she is accusing me of saying I promised her I would pay her back. Its becoming a headache as she is now calling my office and my family's house.

Do you really think she can file any charges aganst me or do anything legally within the US?? As I have said, this all happened out of the country and she is not an american citizen, nor does she have a visa. The plane ticket is much less than $5,000 which I assume would be a small claims court case or wouldn't even be worth hiring a lawyer to come after me.

Last edited:
H

hexeliebe

Oh hell, let this 'friend' fly to L.A., pay the hotel bill, file the small claims action and then find out she's flat on her ass back to Japan.

Or, just continue letting her call. It's a bitch to pay those toll charges :D:D:D

She has nothing.

Friend, prostitute, what's the difference???
Dinner and a movie damn it :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">