• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen Car?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Your Name

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

I loaned Jessica some money and she signed her car title for me to hold until she paid me back. She gave the title to her friend Angie to bring to me. Angie instead took the title to the courthouse and registered the car in her name, went to Jessica's house and had the car towed to her house and is now driving it.

Is there anything Jessica can do to retrieve her car? Or is the fact that she signed her title a nail in the coffin?

Thanks

Your Name

Was I a little too brief? Do I need to include some more information for a response? Does Jessica need to contact a local attorney or have I not followed the rules of this forum correctly?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Your Name said:
Was I a little too brief?

================================

My response:

Yes, you were. You forgot to mention whether or not Jessica lives in a trailer, and has an education beyond the 9th grade.

A title to a car is a "negotiable instrument" - - like a State Bond, or a check - - that, when signed, instantly removes any ownership rights Jessica may have had in the vehicle. It said on the title, just above her signature, "By signing this title, you are releasing all ownership and interests in the above-described vehicle." Does she recall reading that?

She's "out" one vehicle, and there's not a damn thing she can do about it.

IAAL

Your Name

IAAL

Thanks for the reply. I figured once she signed the title there was nothing she could do. But of couse, I don't know everything. Therefore, I wanted a second opion from someone who was more knowledgable in the area of law than I am.

Thanks for your response.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">