• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen Checkby roomate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

thomaswelsh

What is the name of your state? Kansas

I discovered that my roomate had stolen a check of mine when it bounced due to insuffiecent funds. A few months ago my wallet, containing a fair amount of cash mysteriously dissapeared from my room (at the time i wasnt suspicious of my roomate, and didnt persue legal action, because there was absolutely no evidence one way or the other as to what happened to my wallet). Even if he didnt steal my wallet, the stolen check, and especially his attitutde towards me when i confronted him have made it impossible for me to trust him any more. We have not yet settled the money he owes me (the bank covered my check, and charged me a fee) as i have also yet to decide whether or not to press charges. I told him that i no longer trust him, and want him to move out, but refuses to, as we cosigned the lease.

So, my questions are:

1. The amount of the check was small, just 40 dollars and a 25 dollar fee by my bank. What type of charges could my rommate face?

2. Since he commited a crime agianst me, is there any way i could force him to move out or have my lease altered?

Sorry if this was too long. Thank you for any help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">