• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen checks, need advice please!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

beforbes

Breif Overview: I cashed a check for a supposed friend who said it was living money from this father. It was a blank check, except for the owner of the checks signature ( which was forged from what I can tell ). He said the checks were straight, I wouldnt get in trouble. Now the owner of the checks is trying to get me and my friend in trouble for this, saying we knew these checks were stolen and just cashed it so we could buy drugs. We had NO IDEA the checks were stolen or what was bought with the money recieved. 4 Witnesses heard him say this also.

What can happen out of this? If I take this to court will I most likely win? How would I go about getting the money back ( one of the checks came back to my bank, so now I owe my bank 300 dollars. I cashed two of such checks also.

PLEASE help..

Oh ya, the supposed friend who lied to me about the checks went to jail for open container, and possesion of marijuana. He cant seem to get out either, because no one will bail him out. Jee, I wonder why no one will...Probably because I told everyone that knew him what happend, and are disgusted.

Thanks
From just an ordinary guy that has never been in trouble with the law, has a clean driving record and would never cash a stolen check if he knew it was stolen.

H

Humble Warrior

Unfortunatly for you,when you cash a check for someone else,you also assume the liability for it. You might get out of the legal aspect by telling the procecutor what happened from A to Z, but I"m also pretty sure your going to be responsible for the money. You'll have to go to small claims court to get it back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">