• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen Laptop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Remziz4

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I am an 18 year old college student. I attend a community college where my laptop was stolen.

In between classes, I went to the "Game Room," a school based facility where students can hang out and play video games. Upon entering, you are required to hang any bags or backpacks on the pegs right by the entrance. If you try to take your bag past the entrance, the supervisors will tell you to come back and hang it.

Today, I went in and hung my bag (with my laptop and textbook in it) up. When I left, my bag was no longer there. I contacted the campus police who collected the info and gave me a case number and I also spoke with the supervisors of the game room who tried to help me locate the laptop to no avail.

The pegs that we hang the bags on are numbered, and the staff members are supposed to give you a card with the peg number on it so that you can show it to them before leaving and reclaiming your items. Those are the rules, however the staff rarely does this and did NOT do it today.

What I'm trying to find out is whether or not the school is responsible for reimbursing me for my belongings. Does the makeshift security system that they are supposed have in place imply that they are indeed responsible for looking after the belongings left on the pegs?

Looking for an answer soon, thanks!

Remziz4

I wanted to take it with me but they didn't let me. And I've definitely learned my lesson.... but thats not quite the type of reply I was looking for.

Any idea if the school is liable for the contents of the bag?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I am an 18 year old college student. I attend a community college where my laptop was stolen.

In between classes, I went to the "Game Room," a school based facility where students can hang out and play video games. Upon entering, you are required to hang any bags or backpacks on the pegs right by the entrance. If you try to take your bag past the entrance, the supervisors will tell you to come back and hang it.

Today, I went in and hung my bag (with my laptop and textbook in it) up. When I left, my bag was no longer there. I contacted the campus police who collected the info and gave me a case number and I also spoke with the supervisors of the game room who tried to help me locate the laptop to no avail.

The pegs that we hang the bags on are numbered, and the staff members are supposed to give you a card with the peg number on it so that you can show it to them before leaving and reclaiming your items. Those are the rules, however the staff rarely does this and did NOT do it today.

What I'm trying to find out is whether or not the school is responsible for reimbursing me for my belongings. Does the makeshift security system that they are supposed have in place imply that they are indeed responsible for looking after the belongings left on the pegs?

Looking for an answer soon, thanks!
Why on earth would you leave a bag with your valuables hanging on a peg so you could play games?

I don't see how the school could be responsible for the theft unless they stole your bag.

antrc170

I can see how the claim could be made that the school MIGHT be liable for a stolen laptop. If the school provides a service person to give you a ticket in exchange for your property, then while it is in their control they are responsible for the item (similiar to how a valet attendant is responsible for any damage he/she might cause). However, did you get a ticket on the day your laptop was stolen? If not, why not? Did you demand to get a ticket? Ask that your belongings be put somewhere out of reach of other patrons?

The school will (probably) argue that you knew based on previous experience that the control system was haphazard. By utilizing the facility and not getting a ticket for your item it was deposited at your own risk.

In the end it would cost more in court costs, time, and effort to file a suit than it would really be worth in my opinion.

justalayman

I believe you answered your own question with this:

Those are the rules, however the staff rarely does this and did NOT do it today

If you were aware the staff rarely did this, then you already knew it was not a dependable means of security. You still hung the computer on the peg in your bag. The only people to blame are you and the thief.

LizzieB

Who's wrong? Who's right? Doesn't matter.

You willingly left your bag there- stooopid?

Your best chance of any recovery would be through your parents' homeowners policy.

Hope you had a recent backup- that wasn't in the backpack.

Sorry this happened to you. Another (hopefully) lesson learned.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">