• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen Property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coachcronk

New York State

Stolen Mac Question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I purchased a macbook G4 a few months ago from an aquiantance, wasnt pleased with its performance, and resold it just over a month ago...
I recently received a call from what turned out to be the original owner stating that I had sold his stolen mac to a gentleman that subsequently contacted him via email in an attempt to get the computers password.
When I purchased the Mac, I was assured that it was the sellers and not stolen, now I am being threatened by the actual owner and being told that I have to give the person I sold the Mac back his money so it can be returned to the original owner... this would put me out the money I paid for it!
Am I responsible for Mac, even though I was unaware that it was stolen, and ultimately sold what was stolen property?
Wouldn't the person in posession of the property be liable, or at least just as liable as I am?

Im just looking to do the right thing... and I am unable to contact the person I purchased it from. I am in no position financially to pay back the buyer at this point.

Antigone*

New York State

Stolen Mac Question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I purchased a macbook G4 a few months ago from an aquiantance, wasnt pleased with its performance, and resold it just over a month ago...
I recently received a call from what turned out to be the original owner stating that I had sold his stolen mac to a gentleman that subsequently contacted him via email in an attempt to get the computers password.
When I purchased the Mac, I was assured that it was the sellers and not stolen, now I am being threatened by the actual owner and being told that I have to give the person I sold the Mac back his money so it can be returned to the original owner... this would put me out the money I paid for it!
Am I responsible for Mac, even though I was unaware that it was stolen, and ultimately sold what was stolen property?
Wouldn't the person in posession of the property be liable, or at least just as liable as I am?

Im just looking to do the right thing... and I am unable to contact the person I purchased it from. I am in no position financially to pay back the buyer at this point.
What proof does this so-called original owner have that the Mac was originally his? Ask to see his documentation and the police report he filed when he reported it stolen. Until you have that information in your hot little hands, tell him to pound sand.

coachcronk

I never considered the possibility that the buyer could have staged this as a scam... buy the comp, get the $ back

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">