• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen Property of Deceased Mothers home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mbsuddsy

What is the name of your state? New Jersey
My mother was very sick and had a family living with her in Florida taking care of her. She passed in December of 2001. I was notified by a friend of my mothers..I flew down for the service met the people that were living with her and we made an oral agreement they could stay in the house as long as mortgage was paid until our probate case was finalized...they neglected to pay the mortgage after some time and i was notified that they left the premises..I then took a trip down and found my mothers house completley empty. they took everything in the house including some structures that my step father actually built int othe house. anyway i immediatley went to the cape coral police department and filed a complaint. i had proof (pictures) that some of those items were in fact my mothers and my step fathers, however theough "investigation" the cape coral police claim that the suspect said most of the things were damaged and thats why they removed them rom the house, among one of the people questioned was the Lt. of the cape coral police dept. who is supposedly friedns with the family that was taking care of my mother..i am very upset about this. i can not understand how the police department can not consider this matter robbery or grand theft considering the value of the items taken from the house equalled well over $2,000.00...I recently received a copy of the suspects statement and a copy of the Power of attorney that was signed coincidently 1 week before my mother passed.....my concern here is that if my mother was so sick so fast why did this wait until almost exactly a week before she passed.....i am very upset and confused as to why this was handled like this....i mean when i got to the house this passed november there was not a single item in there except a roll of toilet paper....everything was removed and it was not hers to remove. why wasnt this investigated further? isf the suspect had proof that everything was hers was wasnt she asked to submit that proof to the police department.....we lost our mothers house due to the fact that she did not continue to pay mortgage, and we lost everything of sentimental value, and we lost our mother...she got away with grand theft as far as i am concerned, am i wrong in thinking this..i mean that stuff was not hers to remove from that property....PLEASE HELP.....I dont know where else to turn....

JETX

You have pretty much done what can be done.

If you feel that the police department was not committed to resolving any criminal matter, take your complaint to the county sheriff or state police. They will still have jurisdiction.

You can also consider reporting this theft to your mothers insurance company and let them attempt to investigate and resolve.

Finally, you can consider filing a lawsuit against the family that you contend stole or removed the property without permission.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">