• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen Puppy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

horsemum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

A friend of mine pressured me for weeks to give her our new puppy because she said we already had 4 dogs. I was attached to the puppy but told her that my son wanted to keep the dog to avoid further judgement by her. Then she began to pressure him and told me she would 'talk' to him and convince him to give her the puppy. She eventually asked me to tell her when Brandon would be preoccupied so she could take the puppy without him knowing. I told her no but we would think about it. Later that day, the puppy was gone. When I asked her she said the puppy had a good home with a friend of hers and asked if I wanted to see a video of them with the puppy. I said no and was shocked, tearful, and heartbroken. The next few days, my son and I called her several times asking that the puppy be returned. Most of our calls were ignored and then her husband intervened and told us we had 4 dogs already and should go be with them. He told us not to call them because there was nothing they could do because the new owners would not give us back the puppy. They would not give us the phone number or location of the people who had our puppy. I felt intimidated by him and it was obvious to me that it was intentional. He told me not to call and disturb them again. This angered me and I left some angry messages on her cell phone when I could not reach them and felt that I would never see the puppy again. I called the police and instead of helping us to get the puppy back, I was arrested for annoying phone calls. The officer told me it was a civil matter if I wanted to get the puppy back. I am heartbroken and in shock over what happened. Will I wake up and discover that this was a nightmare or what?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

CdwJava

Do you have a court date?

Is the charge PC 653m?

The problem you have is that rather than call the police about the theft right away, you apparently have tried to negotiate with the other party and that lends itself to a possible claim of a civil issue. I strongly suspect that the other lady says that you gave your permission for her to go onto the property and take the puppy. Unfortunately, that lends itself to rather poor ground for a criminal case.

Consult legal counsel on the criminal matter. And you might want to consider small claims court for the puppy.

horsemum

Yes to both questions.

Is it possible to have a favorable outcome in civil court(meaning the return of our pet)? Does having an attorney present make a worthwhile difference? The worst part about all of this (besides missing our puppy) is a creeping feeling of being vulnerable. It seems evil people know how to manipulate the law and use it as a tool.

CdwJava

Is it possible to have a favorable outcome in civil court(meaning the return of our pet)?
Depending on the evidence presented, yes.

Does having an attorney present make a worthwhile difference?
For criminal court, yes. For a small claims action attorneys are generally prohibited.

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/small_claims/basic_info.shtml

The worst part about all of this (besides missing our puppy) is a creeping feeling of being vulnerable. It seems evil people know how to manipulate the law and use it as a tool.
People of mal-intent will always find a way to manipulate the system to their benefit. But, if there is such a thing as karma, it will come back to bite them one day.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">