• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stolen rental car?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ashton

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

A friend was charged with grand theft, in a rental car. When extending the rental car, the company requires you to call every day and extend it. If they forget to put it in the computer, it gets marked stolen.

The rental place was billing the whole time.

There is a sign at the rental place saying vehicles will be reported stolen 24 hours after the deadline if no contact is made. Proving contact could be difficult (phone records?). Realistically they just didn't put it in the computer.

Is the proof of payment, a history of paying this company for rentals, etc, likely to be enough?

They have a public defender so I'm worried about this messing things up.

How does it look for a civil suit in response if all the documentation adds up.

ashton

ever so busy

Busy or not, they were driving around in a rental car, with the rental company aware of the date they were returning it (regardless of whether someone messed it up in a computer, they were told), and they were arrested for grand theft auto. This is without an attempt to contact the renter about the 'late' car, and continuing to bill them for it.

The rental car was originally rented for a shorter of time, and was extended several times over the phone, each time assured that it was in the computer and no problem. The first few times seem to have went without a problem.

However busy a person is using a rental car that they're paying for and that isn't due to be returned yet doesn't seem to me to be a reason to subject them to a felony arrest. Is "busy" the threshold now? If they were too busy to update the rental company on the return date, I see an argument for it, although even if that was the case it's quite a surprise to me, since it's still being paid for. And perhaps this falls under the overall question of whether someone can be charged for stealing a rented item if they are paying rental fees. (although perhaps not relevant in this case since the rental term wasn't up, if it can't be proven through phone records that they were called and told to extend the rental term and just failed to put it in the computer, the fact that it was continually being paid for, along with a history as a good customer, seems like a reasonable defense that the car was not stolen).

I'm simply trying to find out if such an apparently clear-cut case is something to worry about, what kind of documentation a court would consider proof if the public defender does not do his job, and what the possibility of civil consequences for the rental place are, since there seems to be no legitimate cause for confusion, even if they did fail to put it in the computer one time.

If you think this is is funny, try renting a car some time and being arrested for grand theft auto before the car is due back, and see if you're still laughing.

And if it really is the case that a person could be convicted of grand theft auto for this, it might be nice to know. It's shocking that a person could be arrested for it at all given the circumstances.

It also might be nice to know if there's some documentation that the public defender could fail to get (but should have) that would make a difference here, since this could change the outcome.

I have to think that this happens all the time and that this isn't uniquely bad luck. (Also makes me wonder if a history of false theft allegations by this company is relevant to the case, or a civil case in response).

Personally, I've never had a problem with the major car rental places when extending cars, they just bill me and I only call as a courtesy, a policy I always ask about when extending a rental just to be sure. This is a small rental place that I've never used, but I understand they have a sign saying that rental cars will be reported stolen if they are missing for 24 hours. I don't think a sign can just create a law, but once when using a similar small rental place with a similar sign, I did have them call me after the 'due date', because the person I talked to the day to extend it by an extra day before did not put it in the computer. It was the only time I didn't insist they put it in the computer before I hang up because they sounded busy, and indeed they didn't add it. I don't know if they would have reported the car stolen if I didn't answer my phone when they called me on the due date in their computer. But that's the threat I felt after seeing the similar sign on the wall and knowing about this case. At least they called me.

After this incident I won't ever rent a car from anyone but the major companies, and will every time make sure their policy on extended returns (or late returns without calling) is to just bill for it by default so that a computer error (meaning person who didn't put it in the computer when called) doesn't wind me up in jail.

Not sure how the renter being 'busy' is a reason to charge them with grand theft auto when they've done nothing of the sort and haven't even created an appearance of such.

Isis1

you missed the point. everyone has a friend that does all these horrible things. the actual alleged commiter of the crime isn't the one worried about.

so when the "friend" called the clerk, asked the clerk's name, got a confirmation number, and reported that, what happened?

ashton

you missed the point. everyone has a friend that does all these horrible things. the actual alleged commiter of the crime isn't the one worried about.

so when the "friend" called the clerk, asked the clerk's name, got a confirmation number, and reported that, what happened?
There's no crime here, at least by the person charged with one currently. There's someone falsely accused of a crime, who has to deal with a public defender, so I'm simply trying to find out what I can for them, since their lawyer isn't likely to be much use, and the case seems so clear-cut. And I'm trying to find out what I can find out for them for the inevitable civil case in response, which this lawyer won't have any part in of course.

Does it matter if I'm lying and it's me and not a friend? Is this a reason for personal attacks and refusal to offer any real advice? Why do I care if someone anonymously on the internet knows whether I am the one or a friend of mine is the one falsely accused of a crime? It's only relevant information because I'm asking in more general terms than the actual person involved might be, and because I don't have all the details of the case at my fingertips. But I've seen all the paperwork, and there seems to be no question here.

This rental place doesn't give a confirmation number when extending a reservation. The only confirmation you get is the person's name that you talked to. They're clear on this when calling. They won't give a confirmation number. Even if they did have an ability and willingness to give a confirmation number, it seems pretty irrelevant to the case.

Do you think that someone was arrested for "stealing" a rental car and forgot to mention to everyone involved that the rental place knew when the car was to be returned? You mention "reporting" it. Reporting it to who?

Are we saying that a person who extends a rental car with a company that refuses to give out confirmation numbers for the extension automatically has committed grand theft auto?

mollyultra

going throught the same thing!

my boyfriend was arrested yesterday... the rental company says its out of their hands now. what happened to your friend? I'm so worried about my boyfriend it's ridiculous. anything you can tell me about the outcome or the things you've done. he also was making payments and they were accepting them happily and then we were both arrested and he was booked for GTA.

Indiana Filer

my boyfriend was arrested yesterday... the rental company says its out of their hands now. what happened to your friend? I'm so worried about my boyfriend it's ridiculous. anything you can tell me about the outcome or the things you've done. he also was making payments and they were accepting them happily and then we were both arrested and he was booked for GTA.
Molly, the original poster of this thread has been gone almost a year. You are necroposting. If you have a question, please start a new thread, post the situation, and ask your question. Don't forget to include the name of your state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">