• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stolen Vehicle Impound

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohioccrh

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
A vehicle was stolen from my late spouse's son over a year ago, it was titled in my spouse's name ( who has since passed away) and is now legally considered mine. We thought it was long gone, but found out that it has been sitting in inpound for a very long time. We were never notified until the impound lot owner filed for the abandoned vehicle title. It came up as stolen and the police contacted the person who filed the theft report. To get this out of impound is $6000. My late spouse's estate was settled and it was determined that there were no assets and I was not liable for any debts that were owed against the estate.
I do not want the vehicle, the son does. I don't really care one way or the other if he gets it back, I just need to protect myself. But if I get the title transferred or try to do anything with it will the $6000 debt be my responsibility?
Who's responsibility should it have been to find the owner? Doesn't the impound lot have a duty to try to find out who owns the vehicles in their lot? Or the Police? Can we file some sort of illegal property seizure? Any advise would be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">