• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stop Payment check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KatrinaK

i stopped payemt on a $600 check in missouri when i found out that my son and his friend had lied to me --it wasn't for merchandise it was for marijuana. the person who i wrote it to broke into my condo and stole it and other merchandise, i thought the issue was resolved and moved to illinois--i was recently arrested on a felony warrant i was released on 1,000 bond and told to come back to court in a week. in the mean time i was to go back to branson and resolve the matter. i was told upon release to check with the prosecutors office in illinois to get permission to leave the state, they told me i had to wait until i saw a judge on monday, makeing it impossible for me to appear in branson to resolve the matter befor my court date on monday. in the mean time i have been in contact with the prosecutors office in branson--i faxed them my side of the story-all branson really wants is for my to appear to resolve the matter--the clerk advised me who the judge was, and that maybe i should talk to him and have him re-set a court date and in the mean time quash the warrant so i am not at risk of being re arrested in illinois--i have not heard from the judge's office and now a friend told me i could be in even more trouble for trying to talk to the judge. i have never been in trouble before, and don't know what to do. no one i talk to seems to know either. i have limited funds, but could hire a private attorney if i had to. illinois said i did not qualify for a public defender because they had nothing against me. --i was charged with fugitive from justice for the mo warrant. when i called private firms no one would give me a definative answer- do i need a mo attorney or an illinois attorney? i am sure once i get to mo, i can resolve the matter--the only thing i did was stop payment on a check when i found out it was for drugs. it is not a problem proving that the guy lied about what it was for.
i am beside myself--i don't know what to do
am i in trouble for writing to the judge? why would the prosecutors office have given me his name and fax number?
when i go into court in illinois on monday, will i be re-arrested and extradited? please help me

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">