• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Street racing.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G8erB8

What is the name of your state? Florida

After going to a drag strip a few weeks ago I got pulled over for street racing. I'm part of a Firebird and Camaro car club and a bunch of us went down to the winghouse after the track. Coming out of the winghouse everyone turned left to get to the interstate. I live close by so I did a u turn. I forgot my friend had to do the u turn too. Stopped at a light I look over and realize it's her. Look forward, and the light changed. We both punch it. She got a little jump but i was right there. It was close so I kept on it till 100 and shut down. Unusual for me cause I never go past 2nd gear. Brake to 55. See my friend turn off the road. I call her and say "I didn't realize it was you till the light changed." she goes "yea, did you see that sheriff do a u turn behind us?" I go, "no but there's a pair of headlights right on my ass." He pulls me over. He said he clocked me at 95 head to head with "the other car" I still had the numbers on the car from the strip. I still had the wristband on from the strip. And what i thought was funny was that they made us put a sticker on the windshield over the numbers that said race the strip, not the street. He said they were looking for the other car. He let me go without a ticket but I have a court date march 22nd. I called my friend right after and told her not to go back up that road and take the numbers off the car. She didn't get caught.

Ok, I've been reading the law. "316.191 2(a) racing on highways" I'm wondering what i should do. The way i see it i have 2 choices. Say I was racing and hope they go easy, or say I wasn't racing. The cop knows i was racing. My friends nose was inches behind my nose at 95. But, he didn't get her. I know he could charge me for the same thing without catching her but on the ticket it says racing on highway with dark compact. The cop said he clocked me at 95 mph head to head with the maxima. I have never been pulled over before for anything and I have a spotless record. One stupid run through the gears.... I talked to a lawyer and he said it'd be impossible to tell without pulling the records. And he needs a $1500 retainer. Is a retainer like a security deposit? or is that just what it costs? I thought lawyers worked by an hourly rate. Anyway, I'm wondering if it's worth it. 1 year suspended license and minimum $500 fine. Or $1500 with a chance of still getting 1 year suspended license and minimum $500 fine. At least they can only take the car on the second offence. Thank you for reading this. Any advice is greatly appreciated. :(

Last edited:

CdwJava

The retainer is what they need to take the case. His representation will likely cost at least that much. He likely estimates that to be the amount it will take to step into a courtroom a couple of times on your behalf. Don't expect that to buy you a spirited defense, only his knowledge of the court and the system.

- Carl

G8erB8

1987 Trans Am.

I just don't know if it's worth it to try to fight it with an attorney and still lose. I was racing and the sheriff knows it. I don't think i have a chance. With my history I know I'll get a provisional licence and with the way I drive day to day I don't think I'll even be pulled over in the next year seeing how this is the first time I've been pulled over. Max fine of $1000.. This sucks. 95 head to head with the maxima in a 55. There's no way out of it. Thank you for the help.

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/2214/sky15qt.jpg
http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/892/20050210152232aa5hn.jpg

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">