• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stupid thing to do - how much trouble am I in?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Nmac

In Ohio. 3 weeks ago, on my home computer, I found a link that appeared to be suspicious. I routinely review where the home users have surfed as I have 4 children (2 b, 2g) between 11 and 16. The rule is no adult sites but sometimes the hormones win out so i check and we have a discussion. About 3 weeks ago, I found a link, which we I clicked on it, took me to a site with a pretty specific description of oral sex. Investigating further I realized the site was really a diary being maintained by one of my girls friends, age 16. The diary was open for all to view (there is a choice of password protecting it but that was not being used). I didn't do anything although I was concerned. Last week, I again found a link to the same place, still open to viewing by all. I got upset and decided that I had to get the site off the internet before this girl ruined her reputation. I sent her an anonymous email telling her to remove the diary from the web or I will go to the parents. There were 3 emails sent - the first one, 1 acknowledging the diary was gone, and a third indicating my shock - all anonymous. A couple of days later, my daughter indicates the diary owner thinks she is being stalked. After some discussion, I realize it is my emails causing the concern. I sent another email identifying myself, telling her I sent the anonymous emails and why, apologizing for any concern I caused, and that I would have to talk with her parents. She tells me she was scared but relieved to find out it was me not an ex-boyfriend, and that the diary is mostly a lie to play a trick on a friend. (This turns out to be, it appears, more truth than fiction). She indicates she has told her mom who does not understand why I sent emails. What is the punishment in Ohio for this? There was no intent, other than honorable, but it does appear that I have met the letter of the law as it relates to stalking. Is there something I need to do and what should I expect?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">