• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

on suicide

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Fl and all states.

Can you be charged with attempted murder on yourself if you try to commit suicide? If so whats the punishment?

CdwJava

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Fl and all states.

Can you be charged with attempted murder on yourself if you try to commit suicide? If so whats the punishment?
No.

Murder is generally defined as the unlawful taking of the life of another, not one's self. Attempted suicide is generally treated as a mental health problem.

No.

Murder is generally defined as the unlawful taking of the life of another, not one's self. Attempted suicide is generally treated as a mental health problem.
My post says nothing about "murder". I said "ATTEMPTED MURDER". Does the law say specifically that "attempted murder" has to be on someone other than yourself?

CdwJava

My post says nothing about "murder". I said "ATTEMPTED MURDER". Does the law say specifically that "attempted murder" has to be on someone other than yourself?
An ATTEMPT is an act where someone tries to commit a crime. In most states an ATTEMPT is a slightly lesser offense than the actual crime. For instance, in my state we have theft, burglary, murder, etc. We have no specific offense title ATTEMPTED murder. There is a separate section that takes into account the attempt to commit any crime - PC 664.

My reply remains the same: Murder is the unlawful killing of another ... conversely, ATTEMPTED murder would be the unlawful ATTEMPT to kill another.

If there is a state that makes attempted suicide an attempt at "murder" I have not heard of it, and I cannot imagine that such a state law exists.

Suicide (or the attempts at it) tends to be considered a symptom of mental illness and not a criminal act.

justalayman

from Wiki (not necessarily accurate but does generally offer a good starting point from which to further your research)

United States
Historically, various states listed the act of suicide as a felony, but these policies were sparsely enforced. By 1963, six states still considered attempted suicide a crime (North Dakota, South Dakota, Washington, New Jersey, Nevada, and Oklahoma, which repealed its law in 1976). By the early 1990s only two states still listed suicide as a crime, and these have since removed that classification. In some U.S. states, suicide is still considered an unwritten "common law crime," as stated in Blackstone's Commentaries. (So held the Virginia Supreme Court in Wackwitz v. Roy in 1992.) As a common law crime, suicide can bar recovery for the late suicidal person's family in a lawsuit unless the suicidal person can be proven to have been "of unsound mind." That is, the suicide must be proven to have been an involuntary act of the victim in order for the family to be awarded monetary damages by the court. This can occur when the family of the deceased sues the caregiver (perhaps a jail or hospital) for negligence in failing to provide appropriate care.[6] Some American legal scholars look at the issue as one of personal liberty. According to Nadine Strossen, former President of the ACLU, "The idea of government making determinations about how you end your life, forcing you...could be considered cruel and unusual punishment in certain circumstances, and Justice Stevens in a very interesting opinion in a right-to-die [case] raised the analogy."[7]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">