• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is suicide considered a crime in South Carolina?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bmanning73

South Carolina

I was wondering if suicide is considered a crime in South Carolina, and if so can someone be accused of it even if there was no proof to prove they did it? I have read in other places that suicice is considered "self murder" and is treated as a crime. So if this is the case in SC would that person have some kind of police record showing he was convicted or accused of this?

Thanks for any help you can give me

Brian Manning

H

hexeliebe

Currently, 35 STATES have statutes explicitly criminalizing assisted suicide, North Carolina among them. As for self-inflicted suicide, there is not statute (that I could find) criminalizing the practice.

On a practical matter, how would you prosecute such a 'crime' if the defendent can't face his/her accuser?

I'm assuming it would be a similar deal as to when the state serves as the victim when a battered wife refuses to testify. As a practical matter... in CA... they just send you to the puzzle factory for a few days and let you chill. 5150 baby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">