• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Suicide - no autopsy - Laws??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sysco

What is the name of your state? Tennessee
Is it a law in Tennessee that an autopsy be performed in the case of a suspected suicide?

CdwJava

A "post mortem examination" is required by TN law, but an autopsy does not have to be part of that examination.

(Tennessee Code Annotated, Sections 38-7-101 through 38-7-116)

- Carl

sysco

What's the difference?

Colorado
Carl, Thank you. But what is the difference in an autopsy and a post mortum examination? On the death certificate there is a place to note whether an autopsy was performed. How do I find out if a post mortum exam was done and what the findings were. (This is a family member - my father. We suspect there may have been foul play)

rmet4nzkx

sysco said:
Colorado
Carl, Thank you. But what is the difference in an autopsy and a post mortum examination? On the death certificate there is a place to note whether an autopsy was performed. How do I find out if a post mortum exam was done and what the findings were. (This is a family member - my father. We suspect there may have been foul play)
What are the facts, why do you suspect foul play? Did a family member sign for an autopsy. Let's say a person shoots themself in the temple and the forensic evidence is congruent with suicide there may be no reason for autopsy or suspect foul play as opposed to someone found hanging from a tree who was already dead, that would suggest foul play and reason for autopsy.

CdwJava

sysco said:
Carl, Thank you. But what is the difference in an autopsy and a post mortum examination?
An autopsy is a surgical examination of the deceased ... a post mortem examination can be as simple as a physical examination of the remains and the circumstances ... maybe a toxicology screen as well.

On the death certificate there is a place to note whether an autopsy was performed. How do I find out if a post mortum exam was done and what the findings were. (This is a family member - my father. We suspect there may have been foul play)
If state law requires the exam I suspect it was done. But that exam could be as little as visually examining the deceased and seeing if the physical signs are consistent with the alleged cause of death.

Why do you suspect foul play? And keep in mind that most family members DO think that suicides are foul play. And saying that "he wouldn't do this sort of thing" is never a good answer because most people bent on suicide (particularly men) conceal their intent quite well until the moment of truth is at hand.

- Carl

sysco

Complicated situation

Tennessee
My Father is the one who committed suicide several years ago. Some people have suggested foul play due to the circumstances, who was involved and some interesting notes he left behind. For example one note found in his safe, in his hand writing read, "In case of my early demise." There were a lot of strange things that happened and some of the people involved have been suspected of foul play in other similar situations/deaths. This involved some well know political figures.
But the autopsy not being done is the only thing I could think of that could be checked out as far as obvious laws being broken or procedures not being followed correctly. Thank you for your help. :confused:

CdwJava

sysco said:
But the autopsy not being done is the only thing I could think of that could be checked out as far as obvious laws being broken or procedures not being followed correctly. Thank you for your help. :confused:
But no law WAS broken. An autopsy was NOT required.

If you have any "evidence" of foul play, you will have to bring it forward by itself. In my experience, someone in every family related to a suicide or unexpected/unusual death believes the death was "foul play". It's human nature.

And if you start delving in to allegations against "well known political figures" your suspicions will likely be written off as irrelevent ravings.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">