• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

suicide witness

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mister_stendec

In Florida, what charges are applicable concerning a person who witnessed a suicide and didn't stop it? If it could be easily proven that the witness could have stopped the death, can they be convicted of the death?

dequeendistress

Did the person witnessing the suicide simply witness it or did they assist in any way?

I mean, were they driving down the road and saw someone jump from a building/bridge? What? Did they load a gun for them and the person pulled the trigger themselves?

I am not trying to lighten the issue of seem accusational, but you have not presented enough facts. I am unaware of witnessing a suicide as to being illegal: Assisting would be a different story.

Last edited:
D

dyinginside

if they are saying it could be easilly proven that the person could have stopped it....they must have been right there with them watching....as i would take it. but you know what they say about assuming lol

dequeendistress

So...
Let's say that a person is going to commit suicide and they call their best friend who calls the police and they all come to the call.

Who is liable if the person still commits suicide?

The friend, the police, No.

The landlord sees a person on top of their highrise, calls the police and goes to the top, the tenant jumps...the landlord could have grabbed them but may have also fallen. Is the landlord charged with involuntary man slaughter or another crime?

Change the story a little:

The landlord goes to the top the person has a gun but cannot load it, the landlord loads the weapon they then shoot themselves...makes it a bit different doesn't it?

Simply I do not think anyone knows enough facts about this particular scenerio to give advice.

M

mister_stendec

witness

I see that I was not clear enough. When I say that the witness could have EASILY stopped the death, I mean that it was well thought out and the witness was privvy not only to the planning, but also to the suicide. It was a slow-ish death that could have been stopped at anytime, but the on-looker did nothing. A similar question is that of letting someone kill himself because you think he will be happier dead. If I allow someone to die (by no volunteering my effort to rescue) am I responsible for the death? If so, what would the charge be?

dequeendistress

If it can be proven they assisted in any way then I believe manslaughter may apply. Was the person who witnessed this in the medical profession?

I also see there is a bit of controversy in Florida over public suicide and a rock group...this question is not in relation to that is it?

If it can be proven that they assisted by not acting on the knowledge that the suicide was going to take place, where and how it was going to occur etc. The outcome would depend on the proof given if the Prosecuting attorney would press charges.

You are inquiring about criminal charges, right?

M

mister_stendec

witness

The witness was not in the medical profession. Let me make a story that shows the same ideas in question. A man asks a friend to watch him hang himself. The hanging took some time to become lethal. The witness stayed in the same room and sat on his hands while he watched the suicide. They both planned the event. The witness (whether stupid or not) claims complete cooporation in the act. He has no problem with the fact that his friend wanted to die. So, can his passiviness be used to convict him of a crime? Would it only be manslaughter or some kind of assisting a murder? Is suicide considered a murder? Sorry that I don't know more about the legal stuff.
This has nothing to do with the band thing.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Florida has a law which specifically prohibits assisted suicide. Fla. Stat. § 782.08 (LEXIS through 2000 Legis. Sess.). Euthanasia is prohibited in Florida under the general homicide laws.In 1997, the Florida Supreme Court upheld the Florida anti-assisted suicide law under the Florida Constitution in Krischer v. McIver, 697 So.2d 97 (Fla. 1997).

There is no law requiring "prevention" or "intervention" of or to a suicide. Ergo, a witness, passive or otherwise, cannot be prosecuted for merely being in attendance and "sitting on his hands."

However, there is a very fine line between passivity and assistance; e.g., if a witness gives any sort of aid or comfort to the person just prior to the act of suicide, an argument might be made that a manslaughter occurred. For example, just prior to the suicide, the witness adjusts the chair under the person hanging himself to better able the person hanging himself to be able to kick the chair out from under himself. That would be just enough to prosecute for "assisting a suicide" or "homicide."

IAAL

A

Aequitas

dequeendistress said:
eloquent wording IAAL,

I aspire to be just like you when I grow up.
I concur, very nicely put. I love ergo too, it is an excellent alternative to "in other words".

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Aequitas said:
I concur, very nicely put. I love ergo too, it is an excellent alternative to "in other words".

My response:

I am highly trained in the use of certain words and phrases, such as: Ergo, wherefore, but for, assuming arguendo, and various other confusing, legalistic, words and phrases.

The transformation occurred the moment they put my Stanford Law Degree in my hands. I have no other explanation for it.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">