• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

summary retail theft in PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladagosta

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
my son and his friend were in walmart DUmb and dumber decided to lift a few trading cards of all things.. my son grabbed 22.00 worth and his friend grabbed 55.00. first off the LP put his hands on my son and told him he needed to come to the office with him. IS he allowed to do that? I thought walmart had a no hands policy? but anyway, he knows he is wrong and he has done some research online about ARD and Diversion programs. I suggested he hire an attorney even if it costs him over a grand better than ruining him finishing off his associate degree and the rest of his life career.
my concern is frm reading some posts is appears for first time retail theft that the most that happens is that they are fined and given community service and probation with store fines and court costs and fees, is this a correct assumption or am I reading wrong? Does anyonee have a clue as to how much attorneys charge for representing this type of case? a rough idea? thanks in advance I cant beleive I am forced to ask such a thing..

FlyingRon

As the law is concerned, the store employees are allowed reasonable efforts (to include grabbing) to apprehend thieves. Despite some unfortunate incidents with excessive force over the years, there is no "hands off" policy in effect for the LP people.

Consulting with a lawyer would be advisable. You'll have to balance the effects of a summary conviction over the efforts involved in getting him into an ARD program. It's going to run a few thousand in most cases.

The next sound you'll also hear is a civil demand letter from Walmart's attorneys asking for several hundred dollars in compensation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">