• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

supina to court

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

donsting

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I was at a party where some violence broke out and was named by someone else as a victim. The police were called and they arrested someone for Aggravated Assault against me. A P.I. has already been sent to my home and asked me questions. I never pressed charges, nor did I speak to the police. The police took my I.D. at the scene of the crime. I fear I will have to go to court over this. Is there anything I can do to prevent going? I have no more to add to the story. I was intoxicated at the time and do not remember hardly anything.. Thanks,

don

donsting

he didnt do anything to me.. I just don't want to have to miss work to go to court over this.. I don't care about the outcome.. it will just be hard on me to attend court.

Last edited:

CdwJava

If you receive a subpoena your failure to attend court could result in a warrant issued for your arrest.

So, if they call you, you go. When/if you go, you tell the truth.

CdwJava

so I couldn't get a lawyer to say, plead the 5th for me to stay out of court?
Unless your testimony would tend to incriminate you in a crime, no. And not wanting to go is hardly grounds to seek to quash a subpoena. Besides, wouldn't paying an attorney about $2,000 be a lot more financially detrimental that testifying?

donsting

that's why I asked.. have no idea if I could get out of it or not.. I've never even had a speeding ticket so all this is new to me.. I feel I've been victimized twice now... Thanks.

don

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">