• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tampering with a crime scene?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kylerobertson

Hi everyone,
I have a question regarding what the particular charge(s) might be in relation to the following crime:

1) Finding a body of an apparent suicide victim and not reporting it.
2) Removing personal financial items from the victims belongings.
3) Removing and destroying the suicide note left by the victim that had their specific wishes for how their estate was to be handled.

The crime would have taken place in Washington State in the mid 1990's.

Is there a statue of limitations for such a crime and if not, what would the possible criminal repercussions be for such a crime?

Thanks so much for your time!

Kyle.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

dave33

What a weird homework assignment. If I were you, I'd start my search with the WA Penal Code.
I hope this is an assignment. After reding the thread I was thinking, darn this guy found a dead guy took his money and ripped up the will, Pretty freakin' low.

xylene

I hope this is an assignment. After reding the thread I was thinking, darn this guy found a dead guy took his money and ripped up the will, Pretty freakin' low.
I am somehow thinking this is like one family member found a suicide and destroyed the 'evidence' that would have left him with inheritance.... :rolleyes:

kylerobertson

Yes, I admit that it's a bizarre question that's bound to leave a creepy taste in one's mouth. I also recognize that there isn't much I can do to assure folks that I am not involved personally nor is anyone that I am on personal terms with. But, I suppose if I cannot get specifics regarding what the charge(s) would be for such an offence then could I be so forward as to ask whether this would be considered a crime? If so, a serious one?

Again, thanks to all who have taken the time to reply :)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, I admit that it's a bizarre question that's bound to leave a creepy taste in one's mouth. I also recognize that there isn't much I can do to assure folks that I am not involved personally nor is anyone that I am on personal terms with. But, I suppose if I cannot get specifics regarding what the charge(s) would be for such an offence then could I be so forward as to ask whether this would be considered a crime? If so, a serious one?

Again, thanks to all who have taken the time to reply :)
What brings the question up?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">