• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tape-recording someone in the room

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

panzertanker

JETX said:
There is NOTHING in the original post to even suggest the use of that recording. The question was a very simple "Is it legal to tape-record someone who is in the same room and not ask for permission to tape-record them?". And the answer to that very simple question is clearly YES.
Which you then said "However, what you plan to do with that recording...may or may not be allowed by law".

This was then clarified by the OP in the next post:
b11_
Junior Member Join Date: Mar 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Room - dental office

Will use tape recording if I have to sue dentist

JETX said:
when you put YOUR extension to that question, it is clear that the perfectly legal recording cannot be used in court..... without facing a legal challenge.
So it was the OP who put an extension in this.

Both of you, JETX AND Ohiogal are CORRECT. You are both missing that your answers are based on missed OP input.

xylene

JETX said:
See..... you even admit that you were wrong. There is NOTHING in the original post to even suggest the use of that recording.
I think you mean in the first post of the thread. So no, have some ego balm, you were not wrong in your first reply. However, the OP subsequently made it quite clear that the purpose of the tape was to be to "use tape recording if I have to sue dentist"

The question was a very simple "Is it legal to tape-record someone who is in the same room and not ask for permission to tape-record them?". And the answer to that very simple question is clearly YES.
Simple, Simple, Simple... Now I think we can all fault the OP for not fully spelling out the circumstance or what they want to know in their first post. The detail of what they wanted to use the tape for was added. :)

However, when you put YOUR extension to that question, it is clear that the perfectly legal recording cannot be used in court..... without facing a legal challenge.
So you are right and now the OP knows what they wanted. Secret dental taping is pretty much out as evidence...

That tape can be used in all sorts of other methods that are perfectly legal.
A first root canal keepsake? Just in case... I need to sue. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">