• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TBI Background check for gun purchase DENIED!?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

John76

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

I recently tried to purchase a shotgun for skeet/target shooting and was denied by the TBI background check. I am already a gun owner and have bought around 12 guns, all legally, which I still have.

I haven't purchased a gun in about 10 years now. Back in 97 or 98, I plead guilty to Misdemeanor reckless endangerment - which was not gun/weapon related, but was car related - as 135+mph down interstate I40.

The original charges were - Felony evading arrest and Felony reckless endangerment of a police officer. I basically got on the interstate 100+ hit well above 135mph, two bike cops seen me, I didn't stop right off the bat, so I got the above charges which got knocked down to a Misdemeanor.

Is this the reason I was denied for a gun purchase? All I have on my record is Public intoxication, resisting arrest, and that Misdemeanor reckless endangerment.

If this keeps me from buying guns, will an expungmeent clear this up to where I can buy a gun?

I thought only domestic violence and a felony could keep you from buying a gun. :confused:

JETX

John76 said:
Is this the reason I was denied for a gun purchase?
No.

If this keeps me from buying guns, will an expungmeent clear this up to where I can buy a gun?
No.

I thought only domestic violence and a felony could keep you from buying a gun.
Nope. Being stupid is another good, and valid, reason.

John76

OK, so the gun dealer gave me an appeal form I can send to have TBI reevaluate my case. I'm going to send that in along with getting an expungement, and doing a background check on myself to see if there are any mistakes on my record.

Something has to be keeping me from getting a gun, and I know that what is on my record shouldn't be keeping me from buying a new gun.

:confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">