• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Telephone harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

std60

What is the name of your state? Flordia

My husband has a girlfriend who calls our home and hangs up if I answer. I have asked her not to call but she continues to call and hang up on me. My husband will quickly come to her defense if I try to do anything (he disabled the call trace I had put on our phone). He says that if I go to the police, he will tell the police that the calls are for him. The phone is in his name and my name is on the account. My question is, can this person be convicted of phone harassment even if he says that she is making valid phone calls to him? Does he have to agree that the calls are a nuisance or harassment for it to be so?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

std60 said:
What is the name of your state? Flordia

My husband has a girlfriend who calls our home and hangs up if I answer. I have asked her not to call but she continues to call and hang up on me. My husband will quickly come to her defense if I try to do anything (he disabled the call trace I had put on our phone). He says that if I go to the police, he will tell the police that the calls are for him. The phone is in his name and my name is on the account. My question is, can this person be convicted of phone harassment even if he says that she is making valid phone calls to him? Does he have to agree that the calls are a nuisance or harassment for it to be so?

My response:

And you're still married to this idiot because . . . .?

Also, is there a trailer in this story? If so, does it say "AirStream" on it?

IAAL

Son of Slam

std60 said:
Does he have to agree that the calls are a nuisance or harassment for it to be so?
By custom and law, after marriage you become a subservant servant to the Alfa male (your husband). If he says it is not a nuisance than you no longer have a say about it. If you persist to annoy him he may impose a switching. This is where the "rule of thumb" is applied. The switch cannot be larger in diameter than his thumb.

S

std60

Reply to IAAL

IAAL,

I happen to be in the process of getting a divorce but my husband and I are currently still living together. I simply want this woman to stop calling our house. I don't really care if they see each other, but wish she would stop calling. It's extremely annoying to continuously answer the phone and have someone on the other end hang up. I am looking for some legal advise before I go to the authorities to try to have her arrested. I don't want to go through all the trouble if my husband can just undo what I'm trying to have done.

And believe me, I can see how someone who doesn't understand my situation would find this to be funny, but I am seriously trying to find out something about the law.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: Reply to IAAL

std60 said:
IAAL,

I happen to be in the process of getting a divorce but my husband and I are currently still living together. I simply want this woman to stop calling our house. I don't really care if they see each other, but wish she would stop calling. It's extremely annoying to continuously answer the phone and have someone on the other end hang up. I am looking for some legal advise before I go to the authorities to try to have her arrested. I don't want to go through all the trouble if my husband can just undo what I'm trying to have done.

And believe me, I can see how someone who doesn't understand my situation would find this to be funny, but I am seriously trying to find out something about the law.

My response:

It's his telephone too! It's your choice to continue living together and, while you do, he's entitled to have whomever he wants call him at the house on the phone. It's also lawful for him to have her at the house too!

There are no laws being violated. You're just being annoyed, but that's not compensable or actionable - - against him or her.

Sorry, but you're going to have to "tough it out".

IAAL

Last edited:

stephenk

Ever hear of an answering machine?

How do you know it is the girlfriend that is calling if the call hangs up when you answer?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

stephenk said:

How do you know it is the girlfriend that is calling if the call hangs up when you answer?

My response:

It's "woman's intuition". She knows, Stephen.

Hey, it's good to see you back on the forums. How were your Holidays?

IAAL

HomeGuru

stephenk said:

**A: and how would you know if it was the same girlfriend?

B

bini

I would think that this was happening when your husband was not home. If that is the case why don't you just get an answering machine and turn the ringer off on your phone at these times. When your husband is home, tell him to answer the d--n phone.

OOPS!!! I guess someone already covered the answering machine solution. Sorry Stephen, must have missed your post.

Bini

Last edited:

stephenk

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

It's "woman's intuition". She knows, Stephen.

Hey, it's good to see you back on the forums. How were your Holidays?

IAAL
Thanks. The Holidays have been fun. Took the family up to Big Bear for the last 4 days for skiing. Now just recovering to go back to work on Monday.

Hope you and the family had a great Holiday season. What did Santa give you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">