• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Telephone Harrassment in NY State

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Chuckaroo

Does anyone know whether telephone harrassment is a crime in NY State? If so, how many calls constitute harrassment and is there a time limit in which to file charges?

L

Labfad

Phone Harrassment

I am having a problem with someone calling me and using vulgar language; this has been repeated several times. Since I have caller id I returned the last call and told the person that if they ever called my house again I was going to sue for harrassment. I didn't even know if there was laws to prevent someone from making these calls, but I did not want my children to end up picking up the phone with fear that this person will repeat this behavior. I literally was shaking at the tone and language that I listened to. What measure can I take, other than setting up voice mail which I did today after the last call? I also checked if I was allowed to record these calls in my state, as I found it was allowed I recorded some of these calls. I reside in the State of New York.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">