• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tenant disagreement regarding visitors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bb307

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I couldn't decide which forum best suited this question, so my apologies if this is not the correct one.

I rent a house with one other person-both our names are on the lease and we rent directly from the owner of the house. I have no direct issues with my roommate himself; however, there is one particular guest that he invites over from time to time that has grown increasingly difficult to deal with.

This guest is a known drug user and has a criminal record to prove it. I know that he still uses drugs (cocaine, specifically), and I suspect that he does while he is visiting our house (though I have no direct proof of such). This guest has become more and more disrespectful to me over the past few weeks, and this has led to multiple heated arguments between him and I. While he has not become physically violent, he has made a number of aggressive motions toward me (moving to stand directly in front of me to block my path, intentially bumping shoulders, making sudden movements toward me, etc). I have threatened to call the police multiple times, but have not done so at this point. I have spoken with my roommate about it, but to little avail. He insist that this person is a guest of his and that I cannot force him to leave since he is the one who invited him. Needless to say, I have chosen not to renew my lease with this roommate when it expires next month.

I have made it obvious that I do not want this guest in my place of residence at any time, and particularly while I am there. However, do I have any legal ground to stand on, given his actions up to this point and my roommate's decision to continually invite him over, to have the police come and settle the issue? Furthermore, do I have the legal right to physically protect myself if he continues to make what I would consider to be aggressive (though not violent...yet) motions toward me, or would it simply be best to let the authorities handle that type of situation? I do not know if this is relevant to the legalities behind this, but I am a good bit larger than this individual, and honestly could not say that I have felt intimidated or fearful for my safety up to this point.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

You Are Guilty

If you're both on the lease, all you can do is call the police to report any illegal activity (incidentally, bumping your shoulder is illegal).

I'd also recommend a really good lock for your bedroom door.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">