• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tenant theft, CALI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrkent

hi, i just have some questions. im subleasing my apartment out to someone. I will be living there too. But what can i do to protect my self from theft and whatnot. Signing some kinda contract? copying down his drivers licence number. He seems kinda shady so i dunno.. thanks for advice.

kent.

CdwJava

mrkent said:
hi, i just have some questions. im subleasing my apartment out to someone. I will be living there too. But what can i do to protect my self from theft and whatnot. Signing some kinda contract? copying down his drivers licence number. He seems kinda shady so i dunno.. thanks for advice.
You can always say, "No" to him living with you. Keep in mind that subleasing may break your lease with the property owner/manager. Most apartments or rental properties in CA do not permit subleasing - at least I have never come across one that does.

You can always take photos of your property and record the serial numbers of those items that you can, this would help protect you. But if stuff disappears, chances are he'll say someone else took it. Something disappearing does not legally equal theft by your roomie.

- Carl

ENASNI

um Mr kent.. do not get yourself into any trouble. Find a good person to live with. Just do not do it. I can see you posting here in the future with other problems. You are too young and too... well ( do not get upset) Naive to get mixed up with someone with someone who you do not " dunno".

I do not always do this but i looked at your other posts... :eek:

CdwJava

mrkent said:
ic.. should i sign a contract with him tho? its only for 5 weeks..

thanks for response btw.
If you sign a contract for 5 weeks, then you will have a very difficult time getting him out when you want him to leave if he does not want to go. If he contributes money towards rent or food, you will have a tough time getting him out after 5 weeks.

PLUS, I doubt you have the right to make such a contract with him as you don't control the property.

I would suggest you don't do it. NEVER room with someone you cannot trust.

- Carl

ENASNI

I am with you Carl on this one>> Mocha on me... Well A Frappachino..(sp?)
It is darn hot out here deary... But I Bet it is worse up there. I bet you miss San Diego!

Hi to the wife and kids and Happy INdy day!

Mr Kent... Stay Away from the "dunno."

CdwJava

The wife and kis are on the beach in S.D. ... I'm here at work pausing in my break listening to a chorale, smelling the barbecues, watching the streamers, waiting for the biggest fireworks display in the county, and enjoying a small town 4th of July!

But I DO miss the weather!

- Carl

mrkent

ya thanks for the help once again.. but i think we got it figured out.. he seems like a nice guy, so i wont have to worry about anything..
but.. ya.. lol why do you think im naive enasni?

ENASNI

mrkent said:
ya thanks for the help once again.. but i think we got it figured out.. he seems like a nice guy, so i wont have to worry about anything..
but.. ya.. lol why do you think im naive enasni?

Sorry Dude, You let someone in and stay for "5 weeks" on a "dunno" what" he is like and well ... he is a gonna squat.. he is a gonna and I dunno know... bring in other squatters and make your life heckefire.

We will hear a lot more from you Mr Kent... Do not compromise.. Unless it is too late.. sorry I had a bit too much to do in my own life to do to try to stay around and give a whipposnapper a little advice forgive me.. .. I am sorry. I could have shown you how peoples own family could not get people out.. (there are posts!) .Fret around this darn site a little, there are nightmares on Elmstreet.. Mainstreet.. and the 1st -31st all up and down the coast and North to south... dear... do not invite evil into your home.

Sheesh just search on roommates...

But it is not my job.. Just my choice.

5 Weeks to a not known ... HA.. Get him out in 5 months with sherriffs is my guess. HAH.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">