• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tennessee complaints - will they come up in FBI background check?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

drewman

Hello all!

I lived in Tennessee during 2002, and got myself into some bad situations that I regret. I have never seen people in a state so willing to call the police for things that others would shrug off!

In October, after several months of being laid off, I got into an argument with an employee of a nationally known temporary-help firm in Nashville after she gave a job she'd promised me to another worker. Another employee of the same company in the suburb of Brentwood got into the phone argument. I then drove to a third location in Franklin to inquire regarding the notes listed in my application, but was calm. Well, the Franklin office called their police, who came and told me that the other employees had also called the police in their jurisdictions. I was also told that if I ever walked into one of these company outlets again I could be arrested. But, it appears no one filed any formal charges. But I am sure reports were taken, at least in Franklin.

Then, in December, I was offered an opportunity in Korea and left. My church in Brentwood offered to assist me when I returned, then suddenly withdrew their support when I actually did arrive back in the US. An attorney for the church stated I was no longer welcome on the grounds of the church and that if I wanted to know the "reason" for the sudden change of heart, I had to come to the Brentwood police station, where the police chief, described as "a longtime member of the church" would "discuss" the matter with myself, the attorney, and several "elders". I declined, fearing that the atmosphere would set me up for further difficulties.

While in Korea, I called the Franklin police and was told there was a report on file, but no charges had been filed. But I was told that while the reports would probably not come up in a normal job background check, a job requiring an FBI check would "probably" pull these up.

My questions: how long are these on file in Tennessee, how can I find out what has been said about me (particularly in Brentwood, which i fear the most), and what can I do, if anything, regarding this?

Am I branded for life?

Thanks!

BelizeBreeze

Let's see now, First Nashville, then down I-65 to Brentwood then left on Hillsboro Road past grassland to Franklin.

Quite a little tyrate you had there bubba. Why not turn around, take Hillsboro through Green Hills to I-440 west, take the next exit to West End, take the left fork past the Parthenon (that's church st.) and at the third light turn left and immediately left again into the parking garage.

Get out of your car, walk across the street and enter that non-descript building, taking the elevator to the 6th floor. Once at the receptionist's desk tell her you'd like to run a background check on yourself, pay the $35 and find out.

It's KROLL background america and it WILL show up. :D

CdwJava

A "background" check is not a cookie-cutter affair. Nobody can say for sure whether this will show up, and laws in each state vary on whetehr they can even ask or look in to prior arrests. In my state they cannot even ask about arrests in most circumstances. And since this was a report, apparently, and NOT an arrest, it should be well below the radar screen in most cases. I am not sure about TN.

If it is a report, it is not listed on a criminal offender record. But! A decent background check will include a records request from local law enforcement agencies and then the report will come up. That's how an employer might find it.

Pizza Hut won't look that hard ... Oracle just might.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">