• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Terrorist Charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tishlishous

I am a 61 yr old woman that has been arrested for "terrorizing " all because I used a "figure of speech" to try to convey what was going on from my stand point. Im wondering when our freedom of speech was taken from us & if I can get this reduced to a lesser charge?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am a 61 yr old woman that has been arrested for "terrorizing " all because I used a "figure of speech" to try to convey what was going on from my stand point. Im wondering when our freedom of speech was taken from us & if I can get this reduced to a lesser charge?
Where were you when you used this "figure of speech"? What was the figure of speech? Freedom of speech is NOT absolute.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Context is vital.

You can't yell "Fire" in a theater, or say you're going to "explode" if you can't use the bathroom. Neither are violations of your freedom of speech, as saying such things could cause panic and endanger people, and has nothing to do with there being (real or imagined) thought police.

LdiJ

Umm, ok kind of my point.

An odd thing to assert a constitutional argument and wonder about pleading it down.

Sounds like consciousness of guilt.
Or naivete about the criminal justice system and how it works.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Some countries have varying degrees of "Freedom of Speech" - we don't even know if we're talking about the U.S.

LdiJ

Some countries have varying degrees of "Freedom of Speech" - we don't even know if we're talking about the U.S.
True, she ignored the requirement to tell us her state. However, linguistically I would bet she is from the US at least.

eerelations

Yeah, some parts of Canada anyway...but even with Canadians there are some linguistic differences.
Not really, only in the areas of accent and pronunciation (which are both indiscernable here), and the spelling of some words (none of which appear in OP's post).

And anyway, Canadian free speech rights are pretty much identical to American free speech rights (except in the area of privacy - but nothing in OP's post indicates that her "figure of speech" violated any real of imagined privacy laws), so whatever ideas she has about free speech would be the same if she were American or Canadian.

Tishlishous

I am the one being charged with terrorizing. I live in North Dakota, I was on the phone trying to get some help for my mentally ill daughter & I was completely frustrated by the system & their process. My daughter needed immediate attention from local mental health....they wanted her to wait 2 mos to be seen so I used a figure of speech when I said " what do i have to do to get help for my daughter....lighta a fire under you & blow up your car" i am disabled never been in trouble before. The ironic thing is the day I was arrested they took my daughter from jail & placed her in a mental health facility. I meant no harm to anyone believe me. But if im convicted I loose everything my home my job & along with that my ability to take care of my mentally ill daughter....who will take care of her support her financially & if im comvicted what will happen to us??? Im disabled I cant work where will we both go....we will be homeless & then I wont be able to take care of either one of us!

FlyingRon

You made what appears to be a credible claim to cause serious injury or death to another. This is at a minimum assault. It's not a "figure of speech." You need a lawyer big time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">