• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas: Customary trial fees for a felony defense

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

izzyzoe

Before I commit to a defense lawyer whom I have retained, I want to better understand the customary trial fees for a felony defense. This lawyer has quoted me a flat $20,000 plus $5,000 for the trial associated expenses (i.e. expert witnesses, etc.). This is to cover from announcement to the end of the trial. However, this is a flat fee not a retainer. So if I plea out at the pre-trial hearing or take it all the way through, it will still be the same $20,000. The charge is for a felony case (state jail felony, which is the lowest form of felony). Is this the way cases are typically paid for/handled? Does this fee seem to be reasonable? Are there any resources on the Web where I can find more info. on what is reasonable/customary? Thanks.

CavemanLawyer

Alot of attorney's charge an initial fee and then tack on a trial fee if it goes to trial. Since you are charged with only a state jail felony, there is a good chance that you will not go to trial. I'd try to work out a deal that doesn't charge a flat rate for everything since you most likely won't need "everything." But ~$25,000 to actually represent you through trial on a felony is not unreasonable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">