• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas DUI - 19 year old

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

My son was pulled over for excessive acceleration after (he says) accidentally screeching tires on wet street. The police officer then said he smelled beer on my son's breath and asked him if he had been drinking. He replied that he had a "sip" of beer much earlier in the day. The officer accused him of being drunk. My son said he was not drunk, and the officer asked them to spill out the beers one by one. When this was done, the officer did arrest my son, after giving no field sobriety tests, put handcuffs and ankle shackles on him (for a 19 year old kid DUI??!) and then slammed him up against the patrol car. There are at least two witnesses to this. Also his miranda rights were never read to him. He also asked for a breath test or other alcohol detection test, and was never given one. Upon reaching the jail, he was put in the detox cell and had been suffering from an earache for a week. He was told to take Tylenol to relieve the pain. He asked for a Tynenol and water and was refused. He also asked for something to eat and was refused. I realize that a jail should not be the Holiday Inn, but does this or any of the other facts above make sense? My son is a polite boy. Also, the boy with my son was not taken into custody and was even allowed to drive off my son's car.

T

Tracey

Hire a defense attorney -- the case sounds bogus to me. All they've got him on is minor in possession & open container. He's got a police brutality suit & another against the jail for inadequate medical care. Talk to a civil rights lawyer about that.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected] - please include some facts so I know who you are!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">