• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

beth067

What is the name of your state? pennsylvania

I work in the controller's office. I fradualently made checks out to myself and cashed them (something I wish I had never got caught up in) now they are doing an investigation on me. i am so sorry I ever did this, do I confess before they confront me, and what charges am I looking at and what punishment. I am so scared and worried and cant believe I was so stupid to do something like this......what do I do???!!!
Someone respond asap!!!!

stephenk

how much did you cash out?

Get that amount together, get an attorney to act as a go-between, offer to pay them back if they wont press charges and then resign your position.

S

shadowknight

Contact a lawyer and do not admit anything or anwser any ?s with out a lawyer. They will push u and lie to you to get the words they want from u to convict yourself. Do not make any arangment with your former boss it will only ad to the evidence if it is in the police hands it is out of your boss's hands and now the court is your only vise and a lawyer to help you.
Rikk

B

beth067

the amount cashed out is about 8k, which I dont have but I would definetely pay it all back. I had already resgined, I start a new job in a few days. What are the legal ramifications for the state of pa?

stephenk

let shadow go back to figuring out how to get out of a charge of sex with a minor before taking his advice.

since your former employer has more than a suspicion the money is missing they can file criminal charges against you AND file a civil lawsuit against you for the money.

Since companies usually dont like this type of publicity (stealing employees make the company look unreliable), making inquiries to settle at this stage may be more helpful.

Get a loan, borrow on your credit card or do something but get ALL the money together now. if you can pay everything at once they will be more likely to settle and let it go away quietly.

good luck and sin no more. :))

S

shadowknight

Yes I have a charge pending and I feel some what sure I will be ok on it. However I only told her what I read on this site in its advice section under if you are charge what to do and what not to. If you are calling this site out as being wrong on its advice then you need help to.
Rikk

B

beth067

Well, they came to me yesterday, while I was in my office, asked me to go into another office where I was confronted with everything. They had only discovered two of the times I did it, I'm sure there was more, I dont remember how many times, they will be doing an investigation. They are allowing me to pay it all back. (which is such a relief) Though of course the whole staff of both offices now know and I am so embarrased, and sorry and I feel so stupid that I ever got caught up in doing something like this. I am just hoping they will not try to affect the job I will be starting on Friday. ( I will not be working with checks or money) Now all I can do is just wait to see what they find if anything and how things progress. Funny, I still cant believe this is happening to me......I feel like I have let so many people down, and actually I have, but most of all myself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">