• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jewel0604

What is the name of your state? Texas
I have been charged with a state jail felony offense for stealing from an employer. This happened 2 years ago and is just now surfacing. Is it possible that because I have no prior record or offenses that I can just get probation for this? Please explain to me what could possibly happen.
*this is my first time on this board, so be gentle.

enjay

Anything is possible, but much of it depends on how much you stole and the circumstances surrounding the theft.

HomeGuru

Judging from your charge, it is serious, otherwise it would have been a lesser offense than a felony. Please provide more details as to the items stolen, the value and the circumstances.

J

Jewel0604

let me give more details to help discuss this further.
*thanks in advance!

the items were clothing (I was employed at a clothing store)
the amount was around $1500. I was not arrested or caught. I was questioned and admitted to it, then i was let go (fired). This was in July 2001...and the case is just now coming up in June.

HomeGuru

Jewel0604 said:
let me give more details to help discuss this further.
*thanks in advance!

the items were clothing (I was employed at a clothing store)
the amount was around $1500. I was not arrested or caught. I was questioned and admitted to it, then i was let go (fired). This was in July 2001...and the case is just now coming up in June.
**A: are you a famous actress or singer?

J

Jewel0604

no, i am not....however, i wonder if it would help in this situation.
could you please let me know what you think of my case? Because I am a first time offender, will they go lighter on me?
Can they knock it down to a misdemeanor?

Y

yomama

Jewel...

Just so that you'll know...Homeguru *claims* to be an attorney. However, he delights in giving bad advice to people such as yourself for his own sick amusement. Just don't listen to anything he has to say. Enjay has good advice as well as Boxcarbill and there are other credible ones - just not Homeguru or JETX. I don't have any other advice for you other than don't take things that you haven't paid for. It will come back and bite you in the hiney. Good luck.

M

Mike101

You will more then likely be ordered to pay the store back and receive probation/community service.
In the court system $1500 is on the low end. If you admitted to it and cooperated, your going to have to work a lot harder to get sent to jail.
I would also advise you to not plead guilty right off. It will probably get knocked down. Wait for the best deal.

Last edited:
J

Jewel0604

thanks Mike101!

I live in a different town than the town I am being charged in. Do they offer probation even if you live out of the town you are charged in? I did have a warrant (because i moved and they couldn't contact me.....and i figured after 2 years...they would have settled this already). When i discovered that i had a warrant, i turned myself into the judge. She then issued a P.R bond for $1500. I still had to go through the whole booking process and got realeased that same day. I assumed that it makes it look better that i turned myself into the judge?

HomeGuru

Re: Jewel...

yomama said:
Just so that you'll know...Homeguru *claims* to be an attorney. However, he delights in giving bad advice to people such as yourself for his own sick amusement. Just don't listen to anything he has to say. Enjay has good advice as well as Boxcarbill and there are other credible ones - just not Homeguru or JETX. I don't have any other advice for you other than don't take things that you haven't paid for. It will come back and bite you in the hiney. Good luck.
**A: yofatmama, you have no idea who you are dealing with.

Y

yomama

One more thing Homecuckoo...

I'm 5'9" and 138 lbs. So the 'yofatmama' doesn't apply.

J

Jewel0604

i was hoping for serious responses to my serious matter. any other serious advice would be appreciated. thank you!

Y

yomama

Hi Jewel...

Sorry to use your thread to communicate with Homecuckoo. Here's a suggestion that would get you off of this gosh-forsaken forum. Go to www.worldlawdirect.com. Further down the page is a place where you can ask a legal question (click on 'criminal law') and a REAL ATTORNEY will answer you within 24 hours via your e-mail. These are not going to be 'attorney wanna-be's' that answer your questions so you can feel comfortable with the advice that they give to you. Good luck.

B

brake pedal

gosh-forsaken forum

First, let me say I have no vicious intent here. I do agree with you to a point. But beg to differ on other points.

As for, gosh forsaken forum, it could use some work, especially the introduction of a few moderators. The name calling and bashing of posts, doesn’t fit the legal decorum. Besides appearing to be in violation of the rules,it could eventually be the downfall of this forum.
But sadly, the main ones that are doing it seem to be some of the more
Learned. But if they laid down that persona, those people could be a great asset to the board. When they want to, they can present, great knowledge in the law.
I have a theory that some of these people forget that they are dealing with people that have no clue as to how the law works.
Sure they ask stupid questions sometimes. And no, their grammar and spelling are crap. (Mine included). But they are in a situation now that they need help, lots of them cannot afford an attorney, some not even a computer to ask their question on

As for lawyer wanna be's, I encourage everyone to take an interest in law and legal research. These lawyer wanna be's have experience in very diverse fields of law. These people contribute greatly, whether they are attorneys or not.
Attorneys are not always right even when you do have the money to pay them. The field of law is so vast no one person can know every little aspect. It would compare to asking a world geographer where the waffle house was in some small town.

I know this because I went thru 5 year of torment. Every attorney I scraped the money together to see said, "ain't nothing you can do about it". When my home and the homes or land of over 200 other people were about to be taken, it was lawyer wanna be's that helped.
The wanna be's got me started researching. Not only did I find the attorney's wrong on every instance, but by the time it was over I had this thing on the six o'clock news, the front page of local papers. And was even a factor in the state representatives race that fall. Finally falling into the hands of the state attorney generals’ office, antitrust division. (Pretty decent for someone that can't spell and has no grammar skill I would think)
So lawyer wanna be's can make a difference. This board can be a tremendous help to people that were in my shoes. Through this board I not only hope to be able to help someone that was in my situation, but to further my skill in the workings law (and grammar).

I hope you haven't taken offense, as I said I agree to some extent with you. I simply wanted to voice my thoughts, for what its worth.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">