• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this theft?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaguarswin

What is the name of your state? Indiana

My girlfriend and I have lived together for a year now, the past few months in a house she bought. Over the past year, we have used her Best Buy card to purchase items, such as a TV, camera, etc. I have made most of the charges on her card, and have paid the bills as such on time every month. She has now decided she wants to kick me out because I caught her cheating, and I would like to take the things we have purchased and paid on. The big thing is the $2,500 TV. The balance on her card is at $5,800, of which I have paid about $2,500 or so. I made the purchase of this TV in January, signed the receipt (though it was HER card), and paid the bill up until June, when she decided she didn't want to help me pay for the TV she wanted to get. Now the balance on her card has been sent to collections, and she tried to tell them that the charges were unauthorized.

I am moving in a couple weeks and want to know if I take the TV with me when I move, am I (in legal terms) stealing it even though I lived here, and paid the bills on her card?

Secondly, can I get into trouble for making these purchases? All purchases made on her card she knew about and they WERE authorized.

Thanks

Last edited:

CdwJava

You would be well advised to consult with legal counsel before "taking" anything against her wishes. Lacking that, check with the police and see if what you plan constitutes "theft" in your state.

In mine, this would be a civil issue. In other words, a judge would have to decide the ownership of any property through a civil court (i.e. small claims or superior court suit).

Would you be arrested? Maybe. It all depends on the circumstances. But, if she purchased it on her card, then your case is weaker ... and the cops at the scene are not going to decide who owns what.

Bottom line? Take the property (without her permission) and you take your chances ... you could be arrested.

- Carl

jaguarswin

Thanks for the response. I think I will just leave it all, and cut my losses... I just hate seeing her benefit from my work and monies paid, especially knowing that the new "boyfriend" will be enjoying my 57" TV.

Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">