• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jolieblond

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas

My son who is 23 years old was recently accused of theft for "boosting the tip jar" at his place of employment. He has been with this company for 4 years, has steadily received increases and just 3 months ago he was promoted to shift manager. Just a couple of days ago he was called to a meeting with the District Manager who told him that he had a project he wanted to speak with him about. My son was very excited about the meeting and had hopes that he would be offered another promotion.

Well, what a project it turned out to be. He was told that they had been watching him for 4 years and had proof that over that period of time he had been boosting the tip jar to a total of $2500. My son told them that he was taught to do this by his supervisor when he was hired on, and that not only he, but everyone was doing it, including supervisors. He had no idea that they were doing anything wrong, and that he thought he was just doing his job. They told him that they were aware of other employees they were also investigating.

They continued to interrogate him with the threat of filing charges against him, but said that they would not if he gave a written statement, submitted names of employees he knew that were also doing this, and paid back the $2500. He continued to plead with them, attempting to convince them that he wasn't like that, that he never stole anything in his life, but was so scared and intimidated that he agreed to do what they asked.

He was told that when called for a reference it was their policy in a case such as his, to state that he was separted from his employment and was not rehirable. They seemed to be somewhat remorseful and told him that he was a good employee and they were sorry but policy dictated that they had to terminate him.

After his meeting he called me frantic and in tears and told me that he had lost his job and didn't know what he was going to do. I was totally shocked when he told me he had been fired and why. I know that what he did was wrong and I do believe that he had to be ignoring that little voice in the back of his mind telling him that it was wrong. He lived with us for 19 years and he was one of the very few kids who never got into any trouble, no drugs or alcohol. He went to work when he was 16 years old so that he could purchase a truck. We were very fortunate parents.

I have been reading the posts on this site and the more I read the more frightened I get because I am so worried that even though they said they wouldn't, that they will come back at him with charges. I do not know exactly what was on the statement he signed but assume it equals to an admission of guilt. I'm also sure that this didn't go down exactly as I have stated it. This is the version he gave to me. He has no clue that they could come back at him with charges. He believed everything they told him. The only thing he is concerned with is being able to find another job because he knows he has to be honest when the questions start coming. He just wants to pay the money and move on with his life. I know he has learned a valuable lesson.

What I don't understand is why they waited 4 years to bring this to a head. Why didn't they just fire him when they first discovered what was going on? Why did they promote him just 3 months ago? He even received a bonus at Christmas. And how did they come up with $2500 that he has to pay? The tip jar was divided equally among the employees every week, so the $2500 did not go into his pocket alone.

Can they come back at him with charges?

Sorry this is so lengthy. I'm just a mom with a great big heart ache who wishes I could wake up from this nightmare.

Thank you for your patience and I appreciate any response and advice you can give me.

By the way, two other employees were questioned the following day. One of them was terminated and has to pay only $230.00 He had been employed there for 5-6 months. The 2nd would not admit to being involved and they had no solid proof, and she did not lose her job.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">