• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brotherman82

TX. I had a cell phone stolen in a club. I had an employee call the phone and the guy who had it gave his name, which she recognized. Turns out he is a bouncer at the club. I had to call the police to shut off my phone service, I needed a case number, and they are "investigating", but I'm sure nothing will come of that. Is the bar somehow vicariously liable for the theft? Just hoping to put some pressure on them, as I'm a broke law student who is too lazy to use westlaw or lexis.

brotherman82

Official Duties??

Basically. How has the official duties requirement generally been interpreted in TX....would the theft have happened at a time the bouncer was acting pursuant to his official duties?

brotherman82 said:
Basically. How has the official duties requirement generally been interpreted in TX....would the theft have happened at a time the bouncer was acting pursuant to his official duties?

My response:

Pal, we're not doing your homework. Does everyone have the same professor? Do you know how many times this same question has been asked - - in various permutations?

Please, do your own work - - especially since you have the tools.

IAAL

brotherman82 said:
Let's hear it

My response:

No, no, no. You first. Also, if you guess it's your reference to "westlaw or lexis," you'll be wrong. I want you to think about this because "logic" will be a BIG part of your Bar Exam result.

So, read your post again, and see if you can tell me. Pretend I'm the one grading your Bar Exam.

IAAL

brotherman82

Well that ruins it. I was only looking for a laugh. You’ve been out of school too long. We just finished finals and summer sessions haven’t started yet.

brotherman82 said:
Well that ruins it. I was only looking for a laugh. You’ve been out of school too long. We just finished finals and summer sessions haven’t started yet.

My response:

That doesn't answer my question.

IAAL

brotherman82

Your question assumes I was asking you to do my legal research for a class. Besides the fact school is out, that would be completely unethical. Unethical law students...shocking. However, how can anyone attempt to answer a question that is premised on an incorrect assumption. That's like asking an innocent criminal how you knew he was guilty.

Last edited:
brotherman82 said:
Your question assumes I was asking you to do my legal research. Besides the fact school is out, that would be completely unethical. Unethical law students...shocking. However, how can anyone attempt to answer a question that is premised on an incorrect assumption. That's like asking an innocent criminal how you knew he was guilty.
My response:

You're dancing around. Also, "school is [never] out."

Have a pleasant evening, and good luck to you!

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">