• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Theft?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shadow2201

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Iowa

I have a friend who I loaned a futon to. (small couch that folds out into a bed). I loaned it to him a year ago and he said he would give it back after he moved out of his apartment which is in May. We had a fight and now he said he is not going to give it back. Is this considered theft and can I go to the police and do anything about this? It was an expensive futon and I want it back but don't know if it can be taken care of legally even though we had an agreement (not signed) that he would give it back.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Iowa

I have a friend who I loaned a futon to. (small couch that folds out into a bed). I loaned it to him a year ago and he said he would give it back after he moved out of his apartment which is in May. We had a fight and now he said he is not going to give it back. Is this considered theft and can I go to the police and do anything about this? It was an expensive futon and I want it back but don't know if it can be taken care of legally even though we had an agreement (not signed) that he would give it back.
This is not a criminal matter. It is a civil matter. If you don't get your futon back, then sue your "friend" in small claims court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">